Looking forward to exciting announcements today at the PayTalk conference in Berlin! Me and +Helmut Adam will be on a hangout around 11am local time and I am as amped as I could be and beer lovers in Germany should be too!! Note: this Hangout is going to be german languaged!
There's very little we can do about the progress of the court case, but what we can do is look after his daughter, that was only 4-months old, when her father died on duty. That is, why I am incredibly proud to announce, that the Ecole Française du Cap (French School of Cape Town) decided to give her a full bursary starting next year up to and including Baccalaureat!
This is an incredible accomplishment driven by teachers that really care (Myriam Papka and ) and supported by the whole school body. Thank you to Beerhouse team members , , , Carl and others, that made this happen!
Despite the full school cost covered, there will be many additional costs from transport (daily from Goodwood to Sea Point), books and allowing her to fully participate in all school activities and we are starting a Joe's legacy Fundraiser where next Mondays FULL takings are donated to a trust. For those not in town that week, there's also the possibility to donate online: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/joes-legacy
The experience of losing a staff member and friend to murder has been something I don't wish to anyone and it has really affected our whole team. In creating a legacy out of such a horrible incident we are trying to make a change to the better. Thank you for supporting us! Come next Monday invite your friends and drink Beerhouse empty! Share this message!
Many of the complexities that is SA she's mentioning in this talk. I was struck how she's fittingly comparing the difference in the peace process post WWII to the after-Apartheid one (at 13:50m), which I grew up within. If you believe that some day South Africa should really live up to the Rainbow Nation badge it's been lending for the last 21 years, do yourself a favour and watch this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqaZVH7cUJo found via
2000 #Entrepreneurs from all over the world from all stages of growth, the billionaire meeting the rural African farmer flocked to the Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2015 in Nairobi, Kenya. Incredible networking and atmosphere, near-perfect organisation funded by the US taxpayers - money that was certainly well spent!
And for me it was a crazy lesson in personal branding. The German saying 'Kleider machen Leute' (aka 'Clothes make the man') could be translated to "clothes make the brand" as I was never approached by so many people asking for my story, leading to very valuable introductions and brand buzz. Today on the last day of #GES2015 I was actually approached by several people, that already knew that the man in yellow trades in beer, keen to talk about their own beer connections!
I've been online since 1996, and started to work in online marketing in 1998, when I founded gulli.com that turned into Germanys biggest geek-community.
When I first came to South Africa in 2007, I immediately knew that I needed a lifestyle change and the purchase offer for gulli.com came just at the right time, so I sold this business for a 7-digits-euro amount (20 times profit multiple) to an international investor.
Since then I enjoy the freedom to roam between the Bochum office and my Cape Town home and start new ventures in e-commerce (formerly 3Gstore.de, exited in 2011) and my OMClub - Germany's yearly Party for online marketers, where up to 5000 business professionals party and meet together in Cologne.
Most recently I started some on- and offline ventures in Cape Town, like Beerhouse that are thrilling. Working in emerging markets has cought my interest ever since coming here in 2007. You can bet, that you'll hear from me and my ventures in the future...
- Waldorfschule Eckernförde1987 - 1996
- Jungmannschule Eckernförde1996 - 2001
- FOM Fachhochschule für Oekonomie & ManagementInternational Management, 2005 - 2007
- Fliks GmbH / Fliks Media (Pty) LtdCEO, 1999 - presentFounded in 1998, working out of the tiny bedroom, back when there was no broadband, no Google or online marketing as we know it today. Despite my age, I can be labeled a veteran to the online marketing industry, I participated in the first german online marketing conference and never stopped ever since...
- Beerhouse on Long (Pty) Ltd.founding dreamer, 2012 - presentRealizing, that there is no place in Cape Town, that serves a wide range of beers and gathers Local beers, Craft beers and international/imported beers alike, I decided to change beer loving Capetonians life forever and make hospitality my next (ad-)venture. Coming to Johannesburg soon!
- gulli.comFounder, 1998 - 2008Started and built gulli.com. Exit in 2008, wrote a book about it => http://gulliwars.com