Dennis Ritchie co-invented C which is the basis of basically everything that involves computers. He co-invented UNIX which is the basis of everything computers except Windows (though Windows was very, very extremely influenced by it). Apple's OS X is a UNIX-based platform. But, no, so many people think Steve Jobs did it all alone and that he should be praised as a savior. Not only did he "borrow" ideas, designs, and features from everyone else, he whined if anyone ever did the same. In 1996 he said "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." In 2005 he said "They are shamelessly copying us." This year he said "I'm going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this" and then almost immediately afterward released iOS 5 with a ton of features first introduced in Android. The guy is/was an asshole. I have no patience for a hypocrite like him.
(I wrote this as a response to someone's post containing this picture. I figured I may as well share it here. My opinions on this matter certainly are no secret.)
EDIT (8:31pm Nov 5): Because people don't read the comments before they post them (naughty, naughty!) I'm posting my clarification here. I'm getting a lot of comments complaining to me while saying exactly the same thing I've already said.
1) My complaint is that Steve Jobs was a hypocrite. That's all I said here about him. He did not get to the point he was without help. He stole plenty from others (and he admitted it) but he complained when other people did the same thing. That is the definition of hypocrisy.
2) I was complaining about Steve Jobs and Apple way, way, way before he died. I'm not going to stop complaining simply because he died. If that makes me a bad person, so be it. For as long as we supposedly have free speech in the world, I'll continue to use it. And as long as people continue to share their Holy Steve opinion, I'll continue to share my opinion of the contrary.
3) It would be libel if it were inaccurate. But everything I said is taken straight from his mouth. He said he was happy to steal and then threw a fit because someone else did it too.
4) Many of your comments are adding words to my post that I didn't say. Particularly, I'm hearing that I said that Steve Jobs or Apple were worthless or didn't add anything to the world. That's not true and I never said it. See also point #1 above.
5) I had cancer too (but beat it) so don't come whining to me about his cancer. You'll get no tears from me.
6) I've heard something about me being jealous of Apple. Why would I be jealous? That's a silly argument.
7) My problem with Apple is the restriction they place on their customers, vendors, developers, and devices. Steve Jobs is in a Control or be controlled environment. I'm in a Share and share-alike environment. These things do not mesh.
8) I do believe people should borrow ideas from everyone else. How else will we have a better world? What is the value of being selfish with your ideas? How will that help anyone except yourself? Bullcrap.