➥ Arduino  - 
 
My first successful arduino project! It's a soil moisture monitor. It checks Every 5 minutes and if the level is over a specific number it turns on a green led. Indicating its wet, when it falls between a specific level the red led turns on, and its time to water.
I found some of the source code on the arduino forum and then modified it a bit :) I'm quite proud of it.

Test plant:Grey Mammoth Sunflower 
33
4
Json Marruffo's profile photoChris Holden's profile photoGunther Cox's profile photoSaulius Krasuckas's profile photo
10 comments
 
Fritzing file and source available upon request. I need to upload them anyway
 
yes! please, if you can share that would be great.
 
I plan to do this for my planter boxes, I would appreciate it if you could share. It would save me time. 
 
Interested...  but I've never done anything with arduino before. What's the hardware set you back?

My house is about 10% relative humidity right now, which is about 10% higher than it was during the last few weeks of extreme cold. 
That really forces a lot of commitment to constant watering if you don't want dead plants. I was thinking about ways to build a system to automatically water them when they start to dry out. 

So, maybe instead of an LED, it activates a relay on a short timer that opens a valve to allow water flow thru some plastic ice maker tubing to the soil?
 
You can get an Arduino (full size) for about £15 on eBay. Breadboard for a couple of quid, and all the extra electronics for pence. Messing about with electronics (and microcontrollers) is quite popular because it has a pretty low "cost to entry". Where you do need to invest, is in time and learning. But it's a great hobby!
 
I would like to add to your code (new branch) for the RasPi using Python. 
 
https://github.com/0xicl33n/ArduinoMoistureMonitor_with_nails

There you go everyone! Fork away :)

Im terrible with fritzing for the record...

Sorry about the picture size by the way, i dont get why it resizes when i send them from my phone.. 

Oh and so sorry about the late reply, i had sync turned off on my phone! Which apparently doesnt load Google+ posts in the notification bar.

How to test if it works for you: Run it in the serial monitor..let it take a reading(should be 0), then lick your finger and hold the probe..when it takes the next reading it should be wet(should be over 300).  Please also note the lines at the bottom that say delay(300000); for a 5 minute wait between readings, when testing it, i usually have that set to delay(15000); which is 15 seconds, so i can check to make sure both leds work + the rest of the circuit)


Future plans: Since i know how to do this now, i want to make it with like..oh...16 probes or something! With shift registers, and even specific LED's for which plant was dry. Hell i could even add a web server or something that could notify me if its dry..that lil arduino can do damn near anything. and +Matt Lorence  that was the original idea..if i didnt break my own pump ! Id love to see that +Json Marruffo ! I know python MUCH BETTER then i know C++ for the arduino, sadly i dont have a  RasPI yet..

http://www.instructables.com/id/Garduino-Gardening-Arduino/

This is where i got my idea from, its become its own kit now, the GrowerBot! I shoulda gotten one for christmas :P
 
Update: NEW SCRIPTS ADDED! Go ahead and git update..or w.e the command is ( i mostly use subversion lol) 
Add a comment...