[UPDATE] Why your Android Apps Suck (Slides)
[UPDATE] Why your Android Apps Suck
35 Photos - View album
27 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- Funny that 70%+ of new smartphones activated this year all suckJun 20, 2013
- So basically the usual business for this kind of thread architecture we already learned over the years on other platforms as well? Don't block the main thread! Don't even need to be used to Android to know that.
This also reminds me of some of the performance issues and studies from Rage.Jun 20, 2013
- Even you try not to block the main thread, it also can blocked by other things out of your control, but a dedicated high (maybe realtime) priority rendering thread and most of time it use gpu instead of cpu is more hard to be blocked.Jun 20, 2013
- tldrJun 20, 2013
- thanks for sharing...it is nice info..we know some things can't be changed easily...they are trying their best with each releases... :-)Jun 21, 2013
- iOS doesn't have separate rendering thread it's composition and animation server, blocking main thread on iOS will lead to lag and choppiness as well, but one can use animation to mask some stales/longer running tasks. This is indeed very real advantage - while on android you may achieve mostly the same result - each time you have to do it manually (move long running task to background) while on iOS you can block main thread for tens or event 100+ ms and if animation is running it will not be noticeable.
And of course android may at some point in the future have separate composition thread.Jun 21, 2013
- c00l but you should know by now that slides should NEVER have that much text. A little bit hipocritical for one who says that people is over-designing their app's.
This should be an article, not a presentation.Jun 21, 2013
Add a comment...