This started off as a little 3.5"x3.5" blue pencil scrawling that was difficult to see and very vague. It went through a long process of changes until I was happy enough with it to start painting. I was very tempted to use watercolor/gouache, but they were all dried out and all my "nice" brushes were for inking -- I had more supplies for acrylic, and needed to get back into practice for some upcoming acrylic paintings too.
I am not a photorealistic artist -- I'm more stylized, with many years of comic books as my main focus (that's actually how I met my husband, he is a writer). Also I am such a lover of inked art (brush), so I did use black to mix in with some colors, like the dark shadows/sections of his hair, to bring my style of drawing a little more comfortably into painting mode. This whole piece was simply practice, but also a fun experiment to see how I might like to push my way of drawing in new directions.
Acrylic paint on 11x14 canvas, and scanned with color and contrast adjustments -- the scanner changed some of the tones, like the skin which is a little darker/redder than the actual painting, but taking a photo also doesn't show the painting in its "true" form either. I also had to do a lot of scans, trying to figure out what worked best for my dark living room wall, yet also looked good enough on a digital scan without driving me mad.
I'm honestly not sure how long this took. The drawing was a drawn-out off and on thing, and when I wasn't sick or had other things to do, I tried to push myself to work on it as much as I could every day. I also used natural light only, so I could not paint during cloudy days sadly. I just didn't think to keep track of painting time closely enough. "Too long" would be my response, since I experimented, changed things if I didn't like the effect, and obsessed a little too much (slowing progress even while working often on it).