Thank you for sharing the remarks from Kobo's CEO as well.
Love this newsletter and recommend it to my clients. It is always a wealth of reliable, sensible, balanced industry analysis. Keep up the good work.
- Business of Writing International SummitOrganizer and Host, 2012 - presentThe Business of Writing Today International Summit is a one-of a -kind writer's conference held in Louisville Ky each August. The conference is like no other. It focuses on helping the author or would-be author to build their business through publishing, marketing, platform building, and promotion. Each year the conference presents thirty workshops, presented by experts in the field, that teach authors how to marketing and promote their book, how to leverage social media, how to build the "craft of writing," as well as explaining the benefits of indie and small press publishing. The conference is held each August in Louisville Ky. Each year the conference features a keynote speaker, who has achieved great things in the indie publishing arena. The website is http://businessofwritingsummit.com.
- SpeakerTrainer, Speaker, and Motivator, 2000 - presentAs a professional speaker I have traveled to twenty states, and many professional organizations. I can speak on the following topics: How to Market Your Book How to Speak Well and Be Understood How to Self-Publish Your Book How to Market Your Self-Published Book How to Create and Publish an E-book Publishing Today - How the Publishing Marketplace has Shifted Book Marketing Basics How to Write a Non-Fiction Book To hire Peggy to speak email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit her website at http://tbowt.com
- The Business of Writing TodayBook Coach and Podcaster, 2007 - presentAs a book coach I have helped hundreds of authors get their books published through teaching, live workshops, book coaching, and my podcasts. I help authors realize their dream of earning a living as a writer or author. As a book coach I have published and coached dozens of authors. For more information see my website at http://tbowt.com. My podcast, The Business of Writing Today Podcast is heard in over 73 countries and throughout the United States. Our podcast is for authors and would-be authors and writers. It focuses on the "business of writing." We teach writers how to leverage their talent, projects, and books to grow their author platform.
- Darby Press LLCPresident Darby Press, LLC, 2008 - presentI am the President of Darby Press, LLC, a small press located in Louisville, Kentucky started in 2008. Darby Press features poetry, non-fiction, and creative non-fiction books. Our mission and byline is "publishing books that move people forward." Darby Press publishes about ten books per year in the genres of non-fiction, self-help, business, memoir, motivational, and historical novels.
- Self EmployedBook Coach,Author, and Speaker, presentI am a book coach, which means that I help people self-publish their books. I do book layout, cover design, editing, production, PR, publicity, book marketing, and distribution. As a book coach I can help you as little or as much as you need to see your book published on Amazon.com and other online and retail outlets. I have published over 30 books on behalf of my clients, many of which have been in the Amazon Top 100. My book Self-Publishing for Virgins: The first time author's guide to self=publishing, is sold in bookstores and online at Amazon.com. Self-Publishing for Virgins is the definitive guide for any author interested in self-publishing profitably. It is the only self-publishing book currently available on Amazon that features website screen shots from CreateSpace.com, as well as a providing a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to self-publish your book.
I am a former newspaper columnist, author, speaker, podcaster, book coach, and blogger. Over the years I have been a banker, marketing consultant, and trainer. In all these jobs there was one consistent factor - writing. After a year of writing a political column the arrows in my back became too painful so I turned my hand to writing poetry, short essays and creative non-fiction. I published several pieces, won an award or two and somewhere along the line became the director of a Women Who Write Inc., a non-profit corporation formed to welcome, support and encourage women who aspire to write. That lead me to write a book on how to self-publish without spending a fortune, embarrassing your parents, spouse, or children by publishing a less than stellar book, and how to sell the book to more people than your immediate family, and make some money--so you can do the shopping thing, and the clothes thing, and the grocery thing.
In my book, Self Publishing for Virgins, you can learn how to build your author platform so that you will have the respectability that your high school wing man would never give you or the recognition from all those folks who said, “Oh, no---not another pipe dream.”
Self-Publishing for Virgins, (my
book on how to self publish your book), is your ticket to success in the rapidly
changing publishing environment.
If you want to know more about self-publishing and the business of writing today, you can listen to my podcasts on iTunes under The Business of Writing Today. As a book coach and an adjunct instructor on the art and business of self-publishing, I am more convinced than ever that self-publishing is a viable, and a lean-mean business model for today's author.
My number one rule for self-published (or traditionally published) authors:
"Your book is not your baby...your book is your business." Peggy DeKay
Today is the best time in the history of the world to be an author.
Keep on keeping on,
Released and for sale on Amazon.com and bookstores near you, 2011.
- Indiana University Southeast