So great to find this forum. I just ordered six meters of APA102 144/m and I'm getting ready to drive them with FASTLED and Teensy 3.1 over SPI. I need a driver to convert levels from the 3.3V Teensy 3.1 to the 5V APA102 logic level, and to reduce soldering hassle I was thinking of buying a http://www.pjrc.com/store/octo28_adaptor.html OctoWS2811 adapter. As far as I can tell I could use this if instead of putting header under the SPI pins I wired them point to point to appropriate pins on the adapter. Sound right?
5 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 17 previous comments
- Daniel GarciaOwnerEspecially on these faster boards (I clocked bitbang'd spi output on the photon at ~13mhz the other day).
Next on my list after rgbw/16-bit support is finally doing DMA based drivers for spi based chipsets on the MCUs that I can get at dma on.
(I really need a way to not need a day job for a few months :)Jan 24, 2016
- thx, got it. so with bitbanging i can connect 4 APA102's with your shield.Jan 24, 2016
- For a large LED project, where "large" means over 500 and certainly if you're considering thousands of LEDs, the lower cost of the WS2812B LEDs will save you a lot of money. For a large number of WS2812B, FastLED using OctoWS2811 as a driver is the very best solution on the software side. FastLED has better drawing & rendering code than OctoWS2811 alone (and I'm the author of OctoWS8211....)Jan 24, 2016
- Yes, I'm talking about larger projects. About 16000 Leds. A friend of mine is ordering some samples in china. He told me, that the pricedifference betweens APA and WS is not so much... Let you know more, if somebody is interested...Jan 24, 2016
- Did you ever complete this project? I'm looking at using Teensy/OctoWS2811 adapter/APA102 and am wondering if it works well and is a well supported solution. Thanks!Jul 20, 2017
- Wes Hall+2, were you able to wire point-to-point as you originally suggested? What are the minimum pins required to use the OctoWS2811 as a level shift/CAT6 board for the APA102s? From a Teensy3.2, am I missing anything with VIN, GND, 7, & 14? (LED's powered externally, not powering Octo)
I would like to keep some of the un-needed pins open for other I/O if I can.Aug 4, 2017
Add a comment...