When the Presentation Sisters established St. Joseph Hospital in 1906, at the request of Mitchell civic leaders, they brought with them a healing spirit and a commitment to minister to those in need.
Today, as Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, the facility has undergone many changes and improvements since its doors first opened, including four separate expansions. The union of St. Joseph Hospital and Methodist Hospital in 1991 to create Queen of Peace Hospital was an important step in this evolution. What began as a small, pioneering hospital on the prairie has become a comprehensive medical facility offering state-of-the-art technology and services. The consolidation of the two hospitals strengthened the goals of both -- to heal the sick and ease their suffering by offering the finest health care available, and to help people stay healthy.
A $15 million expansion completed in 1994 furthered our efforts to maintain a quality health care facility for the people of this region. A new Emergency Department, Operating Suites, Same Day Services Department, Diagnostic Imaging Department, Surgical Unit, Cardiopulmonary Services Department, and Laboratory were completed to upgrade services. Additional remodeling projects have enhanced our ability to provide patient care.
In 1998, Avera Health was formed; it is comprised of facilities owned by the Presentation Sisters, the Benedictine Sisters, physicians, and communities in a five-state area. Avera Queen of Peace Hospital is part of this large network dedicated to providing quality health care close to home. Although many changes have taken place over the years, the Sisters' healing spirit and the commitment to minister to those in need continue at Avera Queen of Peace Hospital.
A recent change is reflected in our name…Avera Queen of Peace Hospital, sponsored by the Benedictine and Presentation Sisters, is an Avera Health partner. Avera Queen of Peace Hospital is a 120-bed, acute care JCAHO-certified, regional medical center serving Mitchell, S.D. and a 15-county area.