Bill Maher: Atheism is not a religion
71 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 105 previous comments
- I have never one discounted the possibility I am wrong, but you seem to casually. I really can't have a meaningful discussion with someone so far in denial that it hurts. You're literally defending the right to say, there's nothing that makes this work, it just is, and defending it like a theory that gravity just makes things fall down, and there's nothing else to it.Apr 30, 2012
- I do disagree with Jeake Weisz's idea, but I must say that the behaviour displayed by some who out of nowhere just attacked him, shows me that in practice he may be right. Like many of you, I don't believe that atheism is a religion; though in my case is solely because it doesn't believe in a God or anything of the sort. That said, some Atheist act very much like the religious sheep they oppose so much.
You have your average religious zealot quoting Bible passages he does not fully understand, you have your average Atheist quoting equations/theories that they don't fully understand. Your average religious zealot listens to a Pastor, Minister, etc; you're average Atheist will gladly agree with whatever a scientist says. Now granted the scientist has to offer proof of his claims, but as I said most don't even understand the proof he's offering (sort of seems like blindly having faith in someone a bit). That said, atheism is not a religion.
I think most of us understand what the other is saying (in this particular argument), but it seems that nobody wants to acknowledge the valid points in the other's argument. If Jake's argument is that Atheist can be just as annoying, ignorant, prejudiced as any Bible thumper, then how could I not agree?
Science tries to make sense out of the things that happened/happen/will happen, but some think that science's objective is to disprove faith... which is so beyond wrong, or you possibly couldn't have people like George Lemaitre who proposed the theory that would later be called, in ridicule I might add, "The Big Bang"' nor could you have people like Angelo Secchi who was one of the earliest (if not the earliest) to say that the Sun was simply a star. Basically, all Atheist aren't scientists, and all scientists aren't Atheist. It's worth noting that Lemaitre's idea was generally dismissed, and most thought it was ridiculous (even Einstein, who wasn't an atheist by the way). Thanks to Hubble that all changed, but the point is that we shouldn't be too adamant about defending our views; our reality is truly wonderful and strange and I highly doubt any of us should be so arroganat as to pretend we "get it".
The other day I read (actually, might have seen it on tv) of some guy who devised an experiment where a little plank lie peace of metal was vibrating and not vibrating.... at the same time;I mean, seriously how weird is that? Granted I can't quite wrap my head around the concept, but how cool is that?Apr 30, 2012
- If you wanted a heated argument discuss politics, religion or football :-)Apr 30, 2012
- OMG g+ is a terrible place to have a conversation. Even LiveJournal has threaded comments.
tl;drApr 30, 2012
- Speaking of REASON Bill, how'd those buildings explode from the top down on 9/11?Apr 30, 2012
- Wrong place for that one, lol.Apr 30, 2012