TITLE: Dynamic, Paid Public Relations and Marketing Internship / Job
COMPANY: SHERMAN communications & marketing, inc. (SCM)
REPORTING TO: President
LOCATION: Oak Park & Chicago (AON Center)
TIME: 25-45 hours/week
POSTED: April 2015
This internship / entry-level job will provide the ideal candidate a front-row seat to experience a career in agency public relations and marketing with a highly experienced professional.
The intern / employee will be actively involved in a combination of:
• Writing website copy, social media posts, press releases, client biographies, print collateral materials, client recommendations memos, etc.;
• Developing and executing social media strategies for clients and for SCM;
• Pitching media stories via email and on the phone;
• Conducting a variety of online research projects;
• Researching appropriate media contacts;
• Meeting clients; and
• Potentially handling a variety of residential, property-management-related tasks (5-10% of time).
The ideal candidate MUST have (please do not apply if you do not fit ALL of these requirements):
• A four-year degree (by time of hire);
• Already completed another public relations / related internship or job (please note: dealing with the public in a retail or sales position is not public relations);
• Extremely strong writing, analytical and verbal communications skills;
• Strong drive and ambition, desire to approach every task with vigor and a positive attitude, have the ability to quickly absorb and use large quantities of new information, and be very curious; and
• Sincere satisfaction from making others happy / delivering exceptional client service.
Candidate should be able to work a minimum of 25 hours and three+ days a week. Work locations are Oak Park and downtown (AON Center).
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP:
Competitive, hourly. Potential for bonus.
POTENTIAL FOR HIRE:
Depending on the intern’s growth and success with meeting specific performance criteria, a full-time job may be offered (toward the end of the internship). Full-time job would provide a competitive salary, quarterly bonus, paid time off, huge growth potential and medical benefits.
BENEFIT TO INTERN / EMPLOYEE:
The selected candidate will complete this internship with a much greater understanding of the public relations and marketing fields; will work alongside the president – gaining valuable opportunities for growth and learning; and have a strong physical and mental portfolio to showcase to future employers.
Founded in 2001, SHERMAN communications and marketing helps clients: develop a better understanding of their constituents, develop effective communications and marketing strategies, gain valuable media coverage, increase sales, secure investment funding, boost attendance at events, increase employee morale, forge strategic partnerships, launch new products, attract talented employees and establish solid brands. Strategic vision, attention to detail and providing excellent client service is at the forefront of every activity. While we work with clients in nearly all sectors, our four areas of specialty are healthcare, professional services, technology and anything related to real estate, construction and housing.
We contribute 2% of our net to charity and devote 5-10% of our billable time to help select non-profit clients at a discounted rate.
Learn more about SCM @: www.shermancm.com
Interested? Please re-read the requirements above. If you meet all of them, let’s get started! Please email ALL of the following to email@example.com: resume, two or three writing samples, and a cover letter (in the body of your email) explaining why you want an internship / job and what you have to offer. NO phone calls, please.
- SHERMAN communications & marketing, inc.Run a public relations and marketing firm, 2001 - present
- StudioNorthdirector of marketing, 2000 - 2001
- iGive.comVP of public relations, 2000 - 2000
- Healy CommunicationsVP, 1997 - 2000
- Weber ShandwickSAE+, 1994 - 1997
- REMAX Detroit Metrodirector of communications, 1991 - 1994
Jason Sherman has helped more than 100 organizations — from RE/MAX International to Abbott to technology start-ups to non-profits — grow through smart, creative marketing and PR solutions. Key areas of expertise: strategic planning, media relations, crisis management, corporate communications, content development, interactive, competitive analysis and research.
Jason has run SHERMAN communications and marketing since 2001, helping his clients better understand their constituents, develop effective communications and marketing strategies, gain significant media coverage, increase sales many-fold, secure investment funding, boost attendance at events, increase employee morale, forge strategic partnerships, launch new products, attract talented employees and establish solid brands.
Prior to beginning his own firm, Jason directed communications and marketing for: StudioNorth, a 70-person graphic and Web design studio and its clients; iGive.com, the first online charity shopping mall; dozens of clients of both a Chicago-based public relations firm and Weber Shandwick, the world’s largest independent public relations firm; the southeast Michigan region of RE/MAX International; and for clients of Ross Roy, a 500-person advertising firm.
Jason has strong experience and industry contacts in technology, healthcare, professional services, real estate, remodeling/construction, the arts and non-profits, automotive and transportation, and education. Reporters and editors that have worked with Jason know he understands and tries to make their jobs easier by being highly responsive and in tune with what makes a story. Clients know Jason for being highly strategic, creative and focused on their success.
- Michigan State UniversityAdvertising, 1987 - 1989
- Wayne State UniversityBusiness, 1985 - 1987