Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Flo-Bro
1 follower -
The Future of Sustainable Water
The Future of Sustainable Water

1 follower
About
Posts

Post has attachment
Public
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Did you know, that each year #EarthDay is celebrated on the 22nd of April? 🌍

Worldwide, various events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. #EarthDay2017 is focused on Environmental & Climate Literacy. Visit www.earthday.org/earthday/ to learn more about what you can do!
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Did you know, that the same water that existed on the earth millions of years ago is still present today? 💦
#WaterWednesday #FloBro
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Did you know, why hot water from the tap appears to be white, and not transparent? 💦 #FloBro

#Water contains dissolved air, that's why fish can breathe under water. When water gets hot, air is released as small bubbles. These bubbles​ scatter light. That's why water stops being see-through, like cold water, and appears white. When you pour white water into a glass, you can watch the bubbles of air grow bigger and rise towards the surface. Then, water will be clear again! 💦
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Did you know, that trees are massive sun powered water pumps? #IntlForestDay #IDF2017 #UN #FloBro

To grow and photosynthesise, trees need water, which gets transported from the roots to the leaves. As water evaporates from the leaves, a negative pressure is created which pulls water through the trunk upwards through tiny hollow tubes called xylem. In the leaves, light splits water molecules to make the oxygen you breathe, and to react with carbon dioxide and make sugars. By pumping water, trees also cool the air and stabilise the soil.
The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed the 21th of March as the International Day of Forests (IDF). This day celebrates and raises awareness of the importance of all types of forests. The theme of this year is “Forests & Energy”, while last year this day was focused on “Forests & Water”. Read more on http://flo-bro.com/trees-are-massive-sun-powered-water-pumps/
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Did you know, why it is so difficult and costly to make drinking water from sea water?

#Water (H2O) is a V-shaped #molecule consisting of one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms. Due to its shape and chemistry, water molecules behave like magnets. When charged ions of #sea #salt (sodium and chloride) dissolve in water, the molecules rush to embrace them - give them a hug. Water holds on very tightly to fellow ions which makes it very hard to separate them again. When producing #drinking water from sea water (desalination by reverse osmosis) you need special types of #membranes, and a lot of energy to remove salt from surrounding water. A lot of energy means lots of emissions and money. That’s why we should try to purify and reuse fresh water resources, before turning to sea water desalination. Follow our website flo-bro.com to learn more about water.

#FloBro
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
That kidneys are in fact very efficient ultrafiltation membranes? #worldkidneyday

With a pore size of 9 nanometers, kidneys filter your blood and ensure removal of water and products of metabolism. The pores are there to retain blood cells and proteins which are essential for your body function and health. Some important chemicals which pass through, are reabsorbed into the bloodstream, so they are not wasted in the urine. Today on the World Kidney Day 2017, remember your kidneys, the hard work they do for you, and stay hydrated with clean, filtered water!
Photo
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
That only 3% of the water consumed in an average Dutch household, is used for drinking or cooking purposes? The other 97% of the drinking water is used for showers, toilets, laundry, etc.
In our post "Can we apply Europe’s water infrastructure in Asia? (1/2)" we talk about what happens with all that perfect drinking water, that is flushed down the toilet. Read more on http://flo-bro.com/europe-water-infrastructure-for-asia/
Photo
Add a comment...
Wait while more posts are being loaded