The Smith-Appleby House was built, circa 1696, as a one-room stone-ender with a loft by Elisha Smith, a grandson of John Smith “The Miller" — one of Roger Williams' original party of six men who left the Massachusetts Bay Colony to settle in Providence. Later generations of the family expanded the House to 12 rooms.
Today, the House and grounds are a living Museum. Volunteers portraying Colonial-era characters conduct tours and demonstrations depicting life during the Revolutionary War. The historic House Museum features original furnishings, designs and exhibits — and hosts public events and activities year-round, including Colonial militia demonstrations and military encampments, arts & crafts and baking classes, historically-themed dinners, and Holiday celebrations.
Custom programs and tours are available for schools and classroom field trips, scout troops, historical groups, community associations, clubs, and other organizations.
In addition, the House and grounds are available for wedding receptions, showers, ceremonies, family outings, scouting events and campouts, and photographs.
Located in the town of Smithfield, RI, in the historic John H. Chafee Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor, the Smith-Appleby House Museum is a registered 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit organization. It is also headquarters to The Historical Society of Smithfield, RI.