Information professional, husband, father, pack mule. Proud Canadian.
Spent most of my youth in Victoria, BC, getting into no end of assorted tom-foolery, before finally heading across the water to the mainland.
I'm a bit of a reformed post-secondary addict... I've spent somewhere in the range of 11 years in college and university, ending up with two Bachelor of Arts degrees (Asian Studies and Religious Studies), a Master of Archival Studies, and a healthy appreciation for the life of the starving student. And after all of that, I'd still go back in a second, except my wife would kill me.
I am very passionate about information management, access to information and protection of privacy, and transparent government. If you follow me, you'll like see pretty regular posts concerning municipal (Vancouver), provincial (BC) and federal (Canada) politics. I try to maintain an open mind, but admittedly am left-of-centre when it comes to political leanings.
I'm a hardcore sci-fi / fantasy geek... gaming is a huge passion of mine, be it console (PS3), PC, board-game or pen-n-paper (4.0 sucks - 3.5 and Pathfinder FTW!). I'm also an avid consumer of media, be it books, film or other forms of content.
But above all, I'm a Star Wars junky - If you want my attention, just post anything Star Wars-related, and I'll be there in a flash.
I've noticed that I'm starting to garner a bit of a following; I'm both flattered and excited about this. To all of you who have chosen to circle me, thanks so much, I'll try and keep you regularly entertained!
I also make an effort to check out who's circled me and, where appropriate, circle them back. However, I do have some basic rules when it comes to circling; I will only circle you back if:
- You have a profile image; it doesn't have to be your picture (but its preferable - I like to put a face to a name). If you haven't bothered to upload any image at all, then don't expect me to circle you back.
- You have some info on your profile. I need to know who you are before I'll follow you. It doesn't have to be encyclopaedic, but I need to know something about you.
- You post / contribute actively and regularly. Before I circle someone, I always check their profile to see what they post, and how regularly. If your profile is empty, or simply made up of reshares or reposts with no comments or feedback, don't expect me to circle you. Keep that in mind if you don't make any public posts either.
- You post in English. I realize that G+ is becoming a global community, and I think that's fantastic, but unfortunately I only speak English. If I can't read your posts, then I won't circle you, because I can't get any enjoyment out of it. Sorry, but that's just the way it has to be.
- You treat others with respect and courtesy. This is the big one. I admit to posting the occasional joke or image that may be a tad controversial, but I try very hard not to insult or offend anyone (unless I know you personally, or you've brought it on yourself; then you're fair game).
- I will not tolerate anyone using comments on my posts to insult or offend anyone.
- I will not tolerate anyone using my posts as a platform for their own agenda; I don't mind if you go off-topic - I often do - so long as there's some tangential link to the original theme. But if you post just to be heard, with no regard to the original topic, then we have a problem.
- I will not tolerate any form of bigotry or attacking anyone / thing based on the usual criteria (race, gender, religion, sexual preference, etc).
- I have no issues with people posting their opinions, so long as it is made clear its your opinion, and its not being used to attack someone else. I.E. "I don't believe in God" is fine; "I think religious people are stupid...", not so much.
- If I've circled you previously, and you break any of the afore-mentioned rules, I will, at the very least, delete your comment; if I find it particularly offensive, I will uncircle and block you, and may even report you.
- Disclaimer: I'm agnostic-atheist (apatheist, to be exact); I don't believe in a higher power, but that's my personal belief, and I strongly support the idea of freedom of / from religion Your beliefs may be different, and that's fine. So long as we understand each other, and respect each other's (non)beliefs, we'll get along just fine.
- If you can't / don't meet the afore-mentioned criteria, then I will likely not circle you.
- There may be instances where you meet most or all the above criteria, and I still don't circle you back. This is likely because I feel we don't have a lot in common, or your interests don't mesh with mine. Please don't take it personally, but I need some way to control the number of people and pages in my circles.
So there you have it; those are my rules (subject to change at any time, of course). I don't think that's asking too much, and if you can handle them, then please feel free to circle me and comment away. I always welcome comments and / or feedback, and try and make all my posts public, where appropriate.