MARCH 24 - 28, 2014
Drop Off Locations:
FGI 8 West 40th Street, 7th Fl.,NYC - 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
LIM, Maxwell Hall, 215 East 45th St., NYC - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm (drop off time on 3/25 will be 8:30 am - 3:30 pm)
It all began in 1928 when 17 women, gathered by Edna Woolman
Chase, Editor-in-Chief of Vogue, met for lunch in a modest midtown New York
restaurant. They had three things in common: Each held a job of consequence in
the business of fashion, each held all the others in high regard and together
they held a belief that fashion needed a forum, a stage, or a force to express
and enhance a widening awareness of the American fashion business and of
women’s roles in that business.
The Fashion Group®, conceived at an informal luncheon in 1928 became an organization in 1930, with a place, a purpose, by-laws, officers and women eager to be members.
Some of those Founding and Charter members were:
Their first office space was donated by Louis Fairchild in
his Women's Wear Daily building on East 12th Street. The second office space
was at 572 Madison Avenue, donated by Harper’s Bazaar. Then in 1934, from the
minutes of the Board meeting of October 18: Discussion as to how to meet the
rent of the contemplated space in 30 Rockefeller Center included a Fashion
Group party using talent within the membership lampooning fashion, to be known
as The Fashion Follies™.
Today, The Fashion Group® offers membership to both men and women.