Profile cover photo
Profile photo
CurrinFamily Currin
From Nelson, New Zealand and organising the history of the Currin Family
From Nelson, New Zealand and organising the history of the Currin Family


Post has attachment
John Currin was tagged in CurrinFamily Currin's album.
All - March 2012
View album
Commenting is disabled for this post.

Post has attachment
Billy - a student of mine who is very clever indeed - and his parents took us out for lunch
5 Photos - View album
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Saturday morning and it is my grandson Tiari's birthday - spoke to Darren and he will pass on message, he was off to play rugby.

An older photo with his sisters - Rose (on the right) had her birthday the other day too

Classes this afternoon until 7.00pm
Add a comment...

Post has shared content
My first ship and first overseas trip in the Navy
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Add a comment...

Post has shared content
Add a comment...

Post has attachment

Post has attachment
Obituary notice for John Currin - born Circa 1822 in Crick, Northamptonshire, England

Read more here

OBITUARY. See the link here to original newspaper notice - click here

Passenger List of the Prince of Wales – Currin family

This the ship that our ancestors arrived in from England.
Prince of Wales
Ship: 582 tons
Captain: Alexander Alexander
Surgeon Superintendent: Matthew Doyle Kearns
Sailed London 2nd September 1842

Currin John 51 Labourer
Ann 42
John Jnr 18 Labourer & Gardener
Sarah 15 Servant
Thomas 11
George T. 2

MR, JOHN CURRIN. (This is John Jnr - listed as a labourer and gardener, aged 18 on arrival in New Zealand and my great, great grandfather -

You (Neil John Currin),

Neil Royston Royston Currin your father,

Royston Burdett Currin, his father,

Francis Currin, his father,

John Currin, his father. (No known photo)

Mr John Currin died early on Wednesday morning at his residence, Wakefield (writes our Wakefield correspondent), at the advanced age of 85 years. Mr Currin was one of the early settlers, arriving in Blind Bay in the ship Prince of Wales, Captain Alexander, on (Friday) 24th of December, 1842. The next day, Christmas Day, being stormy, the captain remained at anchor, not daring to attempt the channel as the Fifeshire was then upon the "Fifeshire Rock." Sunday was spent on -board but on the Monday Captain Cross safely piloted the ship in.

Mr Currin came out with his father and mother, his two brothers and two sisters from Northampton, England. One sister had been married to Mr John Noden, who accompanied them and who was afterwards in the Wairau Massacre, but escaped. He has been dead some years but Mrs Noden, who is' 86 years of age, still lives in Motueka. The family resided for some eighteen months" in Nelson, but Mr Currin spent, -.the early part of his time in the Wairau, where he built the first house at "Bank house" station (See below), the walls of which are still in good condition.

"While out with a survey party at Motueka the Maoris attempted to stop the work and seized upon several of the men, Mr Currin being one. As they were dragging him through the forest a Maori jumped upon a stump, brandished his tomahawk and was about to bring it down on Mr Currin head when the chief interposed and spared his life.

Mr Currin underwent all the vicissitudes of the life- of an early settler, often being hard put to find food.

He leaves a brother,. Mr Thomas Gurrin, of Wakefield and another, Mr George T. Currin,of Fitzherbert, Palmerston North, and a sister, Mrs Noden, of Motueka.

MR Currin came to Spring Grove in 1844 and took up the section on which he has lived all these years, and on which he died. His family consisted of six sons and eight daughters, seventy-five grandchildren and fortyone great grandchildren.. Mrs Currin predeceased her husband by 26 years.

Latterly his sight failed him. He was ailing only about 3 months being outside daily until a few days before his death. He is laid alongside his wife, in St John's churchyard, Wakefield, the Rev.E. Hewlett, vicar, performing the ceremony in the presence of a number of his friends and relatives.

Currin Homestead at Spring Grove - has now been removed to Marlborough

About Bankhouse

In March 1848 Dr David Monro, with the aid of five men and with two horses to carry baggage, drove his flock of 1,000 sheep from the Nelson area via Tophouse and down the Wairau to the above run.

Dr. (later Sir) David Monro (1813–1877) was born in Edinburgh, son of Dr. Alexander Monro, Professor of Anatomy at the University of Edinburgh where David obtained his degree of M.D. He bought land scrip in England in the New Zealand Company's settlement in 1841 and sailed for Australia to visit his brother Harry who had a sheep station in Victoria. In early January 1842 he left by the schooner Ariel a coastal trader calling at several places between Auckland and Nelson, where he arrived in March 1842. He built a timber cottage on his town acre section facing Trafalgar Square. In 1843 he was allocated his 50 acres at Waimea West. This was increased to nearly 200 acres over the next few years and named "Bearcroft". In 1845 he married Dinah Secker (1818–1882) at the little church of St. Michael, Waimea West.

Section 1 of XII was crown granted to him in 1852 and other sections were purchased over the next twenty years without much trouble from outsiders trying to freefold sections out of the run.

Towards the end of 1868 or early 1869 Alexander Binning Monro of Valleyfield took over the management of Bankhouse for a time. It is reported that an illicit still was discovered in the manuka scrub and finally the ex-manager was charged and convicted. Such stills were not uncommon at the time.

About 1870 Monro's eldest son, Alexander (1846–1905) took over the management of Bankhouse which he inherited on the death of his father in 1877. Alexander died in 1905 and the run was carried on by trustees and executors namely his widow, Frances Caroline nee Severn and Richard Corbett of Leefield, station manager. The widow as executrix was to manage the realty and to receive £400 a year; the residue to go towards education and maintenance of the children. The Bankhouse property was then to go to the two eldest sons as tenants in common and the rest of the estate to the other children with a clause to equalise the amounts. Despite this, in 1915, Bankhouse was cut into three parcels of land; the homestead block went to Herbert Yelverton Monro, the Marchburn block to Philip Charles Monro and owing to the early death of Henry Alexander Monro in 1916, the Craiglochart block was transfered to his widow, Edith Sylvia Monro.

The Bankhouse run which included the Homestead was of nearly 11,000 acres, but with various sales and exchanges is now of about 10,000 acres and is one of the highest valued single properties in the district, H. J. Monro married Maude Clouston and had one son and two daughters. During his time the merino flock of sheep was upgraded with the establishment of a Merino Stud No. 62 and was well thought of during the 1920's and 30's, but was discontinued in recent times. In 1947 his son, Alexander started taking over the management of Bankhouse.

The Marchburn area of 8081 acres was taken over by Philip Charles Monro in 1915 and in 1930 was transfered to Lewis Henry Clouston for a few PAGE 26months before being transfered to Alexander Monro, son of H. Y. Monro. For the next 30 years it was run in conjunction with Bankhouse before being transferred to John Henry Barrington Shield whose wife was a daughter of H. Y. Monro. A few years later it was turned into a farming company.

The Craiglochart area of Bankhouse, 7605 acres, was transferred by trustrees to Edith Sylvia Monro, widow of Henry Alexander Monro, at the beginning of 1917. The following year she married Thorston Frederick Kelling of Blenheim, Solicitor. In April, 1923 Craiglockhart was transferred from Mrs E. S. Kelling to Cuthbert Oliver Tate Rutherford of Hawarden, Canterbury. In 1947 the Crown took over Craiglockhart for the re-settlement of three returned servicemen who took up their respective farms in 1950. They were Henry Lumsden Tancred, Louis Arthur Laugesen on the Homestead area and Arnold Arthur Marfell.
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Probably a family connection even if it is a bit remote

Currin's Corner with the Currin Family from Nelson, New Zealand ✆
10:14 (1 minute ago)
to johninanshan
New post on Currin's Corner with the Currin Family from Nelson, New Zealand

Probably a family connection even if it is a bit remote
by John Currin
The EW Win Real Estate company mentioned was owned by Joy Surrell's (married my mothers brother, Bob) father who was a Smith and her sister Paddy Smith used to visit us.
Not sure of the Brightwater and Wakefield bakeries and which ones they were.

Heroic pilot was 'a hard case'
Relative comes forward after reading Mail story

Last updated 12:11 19/04/2012
Text Size
COLIN SMITH REMEMBERING: Dudley Walker, 91, of Richmond, the brother-in-law of Tom Wilkinson, the heroic pilot of a bomber that was on a mission over Germany when it was shot down on in 1943, near Schwanheim.
Related Links
Downed Kiwi died to save German village

Downed pilot Tom Wilkinson who guided his flaming World War II bomber away from a German village and saved its inhabitants, was a "hard case" who loved to drive his V8 car at speed around Nelson.

Those are strong recollections of his Richmond brother-in-law Dudley Walker, 91, who married Mr Wilkinson's sister Peggy in 1942.

Ernest Stanley Wilkinson, named Tom by his grandfather, E W Winn, is to be remembered at a special ceremony in Germany next month for his heroic deed in September 1943 when he steered his burning plane away from the village of Schwanheim.

Mr Wilkinson was killed in the crash, but his navigator Gordon Simes, also from Nelson, survived. His son Will Simes, of Marahau, will attend the ceremony in Schwanheim next month.

He and his sister Nola Muller, of Stoke, said in yesterday's Nelson Mail that they wanted to locate any of Mr Wilkinson's relatives to let them know about the ceremony. They had tried to find out as much as they could about him, but the trail had gone cold.

Mr Walker's sister Beryl Springer called the Mail yesterday with the good news there was still a strong living connection.

Mr Walker, who was a gunner in the NZ division 5th field regiment, was 16 when he first met Mr Wilkinson, who was a few years older. They were introduced through Peggy.

"He was a real hard case. He had a 1933 or '34 V8 motor car, which not many people had back then. He roared around the place and rolled it a couple of times.

"He was a good fellow we got on well. He drove trucks with Nelson produce to the West Coast. He'd leave here in the evening and drive all night."

Mr Walker said Tom and his sister went to college in town. Because the family lived a fair way from Nelson, Tom went to live with his grandparents in Richmond. His grandfather, who was a Richmond land agent, set him up in his own trucking business.

Mr Walker remembered Mr Wilkinson was "not terribly excited" about going to war, but there was no way he was going into the infantry.

"He applied to the air force and had to go back to night school at college to get more education.

"He wanted to be a pilot. It was a fatal mistake," said Mr Walker, but he is pleased Mr Wilkinson is to be honoured.

Mr Wilkinson was one of four killed of the seven crew in the Stirling bomber. He and Mr Simes belonged to RNZAF 75 Squadron. The crash survivors were held as prisoners of war.
Add a comment...

Post has shared content
Currin brothers and sisters together - David with Sheri, Diane, Helen and John
Add a comment...
Wait while more posts are being loaded