Is there any way to tell if a listing's been hit by a "Local" penalty? A client of mine is ranking really well organically, but not in the pack. They used to, not anymore. In fact, when I go into the Map results, they are no where to be found. No dupe issue or anything like that. What cues should I be looking for? Thanks in advance for your help.
2 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 4 previous comments
- Had this happen to a client of mine. I think I'll post this later for the group but the biggest issue with them is Google changed city center for the town and is now showing only businesses in that area. They rank well on map for other keywords, just not the main one.Dec 8, 2014
- - thanks for those links. They're helpful. I may have figured out the issue and its a citation one. Will circle back if I see any results after some cleanup.
As mentioned, the hack doesn't work to check a penalty. I did notice, however, that when I searched on https://plus.google.com/local/Ottawa I found the business listed for a non-geo keyword, with Ottawa set as the city. But, when I search in regular Google search and head to the maps, the business doesn't show up anywhere.
Thanks for your help everyone!Dec 8, 2014
- , - perhaps as a follow up question to you both, how often does the Pack results change? We know of Pigeon, but perhaps a business was affected by it, after all fixes how long should we expect to bounce back? Is there a definite / approximation?Dec 8, 2014
- Totally depends. If it's a changing search radius, I've seen ones that zoom in an out. One day you are in, next week you are out and it flip flops.
If it's due to a violation, the main one I've worked with and tracked response times is KW/GEO spam in description. Sometimes after clean up they totally bounce back w/in 2 weeks. BUT I've seen penalty hangovers that last 5 months too when city repetition was excessive.Dec 8, 2014
- Signed up for the Webinar could always learn more on this issuesDec 8, 2014
- Some good news I thought I'd share win this thread... I managed to figure out the disconnected listing for my client and wrote up a case study here: http://steerup.com/how-to-fix-a-disconnected-listing-problem/
Thank you all for your kind support. I hope this will help some of you if you ever encounter this problem for your clients. Cheers! :)Dec 30, 2014