We're looking for people to get involved: run workshops, give talks, help with our maker events, etc. We're also interested in any ideas you have for events you/we could hold over that weekend.
If you're interested, drop Seb an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or stop in at the Shed and ask to speak to someone involved in the "Big Event" or "Geek Weekend". Usually one of us will be around!
(Apologies if you've seen this before - I'm trying to get this out to as many people as possible.)
Wed 6 Mar:
* Creative Commons Music Exchange: Come and discover your new favourite band! New to the scene? Check dis out: http://www.openshed.org/content/creative-commons-music-links and start finding awesome free music. 6pm-8pm.
Thu 7 Mar:
* Code Kitchen: Drupal views tutorial at 2pm and again at 5pm. 1pm-8pm.
* Electronics and programming for beginners: Robots. Need I say more? 6pm-8pm. (Next course starting soon, get in touch to join.)
Sat 9 Mar:
* Bike Kitchen: come and fix or tune up your bike, ask questions and get help. 10am-3pm.
That's it for this week - hope to see y'all soon!
Fridays, 24th & 31st May, 7pm
£2 (£1 for members)
@ Open Shed, Champions Yard, Causeway Head (next to the cinema), Penzance, TR18 2TA.
We'll be screening Alan Moore and Mitch Jenkins' "Act of Faith" and "Jimmy's End"! These are a must for any Alan Moore fans, "Act of Faith" is intended as a curtain raiser for the great ride, trip into the darkside, that is "Jimmy's End". So we'll be screening "Act of Faith" on the first Friday, with "Jimmy's End" on the following. (Alas Alan Moore will not be attending, perhaps we should ask him?)
There's more information here on LEX's website: http://lexprojects.com/2012/11/watch-act-of-faith-by-alan-moore-mitch-jenkins/
Both nights will also showcase some other great shorts that Open Shed has acquired permission for. Whether that be animation, geeky madness, Ninja Tune vids or shorts from the greats!
Some of the things we're showing:
"1000 Voices" - Tim Travers Hawkins (www.iloobia.com/1000-Voices) (8.20 mins)
"Act of Faith" - Alan Moore & Mitch Jenkins (16:30 mins)
"Cymatic Frequencies II" - DK (Solid Steel) (http://solidsteel.ninjatune.net/
[Possibly "My Sun Has Risen" (18:00 mins)]
"Jimmy's End" - Alan Moore & Mitch Jenkins (32:00 mins)
"Killing Us By Heart" Calais Migrant Solidarity
[Possibly "Me and My Mate Gustave Dore")]
More to be announced - watch this space!
Okay it's time to spread a little love… so some of us more fortunate ones at the Shed wanted to benevolently sow our seeds of freedom and hyper-coolness into the electronic ether.
Q: What, you'll marry one of us?
No I'm afraid not, something way, way more exciting.
Q: You'll kill my step-mother? Or at least "silence" my step-father gangsta style?
No, no… well perhaps Gangnam style, but no, BUT keep that Thorazine smile because what we're going to do will change what at best could be casually termed your dreary-survival into Life!
Q: Really for me?
That's right! read on… http://openshed.org/content/what
Sat 23 Feb (ie today):
* Film screening: The Mindscape of Alan Moore, the only documentary about the great man with his full co-operation. Unfortunately, we haven't arranged for him to be here himself. We probably should have invited him. :) 7:30pm, £2 or £1 for members
Wed 27 Feb:
* A Series of Disconnected Talks is CANCELLED this month. We'll be back in March.
Thu 28 Feb:
* Code Kitchen with Marcus, who is running a series of workshops on various aspects of Drupal as well as his usual drop-in sessions. This week, the workshop will be on views. 1pm-8pm.
* Electronics and programming for beginners, as usual, at 6pm. David's planning to start a new course soon, get in touch if you want to join.
Sat 2 Mar (next week):
* Build Your Own Computer, a one-day course for beginners - learn to put a computer together from recovered parts in the morning, install open source software in the afternoon, and take the computer home at the end of the day. Booking essential. 10am-4pm, £20 or £10 for members.
* The Bike Kitchen is open for minor repairs and advice from Darren and our other bike fiends. 10am-3pm.
(I've been lax about posting "This week at Open Shed" updates recently, sorry about that! - Seb)
http://10.creativecommons.org/ has been featuring different types of CC content, platforms and community resources - some really interesting stuff, writing (children's books to science fiction), art, music...
Ground Floor, Champions Yard Causewayhead Penzance, Cornwall TR18 2TA
We are a cooperative organisation which aims to improve community access to, and appreciation of, technology.
Our 200m2 premises in central Penzance include coworking facilities, a café, conference and activity room, machine shop, bike kitchen, electronics lab, retro arcade machines and of course, free wifi throughout.
Daily, monthly, and annual memberships are available.
Have fun, be creative. Exchange ideas and share skills. Engage more deeply with the technology that surrounds us.