Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Woozle Hypertwin
30,413 followers -
Verified by Harena Atria™
Verified by Harena Atria™

30,413 followers
About
Posts

Post has shared content
Mel has a couple more short videos of this event that I haven't shared; for the full series, check out his stream.

Post has shared content
More of the counterprotest.

Post has shared content
Here we see liberals beating things with considerable force. VIOLENCE ON BOTH SIDES!!!

Post has shared content
For those of the praying persuasion.
Photo

Post has shared content
Did I mention that I'm liking my town more and more these days?

Last fix (update 2): The .conf file for http://vbz.net apparently needed to be rebuilt. Through VirtualMin, I removed SSL support from vbz.net, then added it back in; this seems to have fixed the problem via wireless (and yes, I can confirm that the connection is using IPv6 -- which also breaks my session table just a bit, so it's GOOD that this happened.)

Partial solution (update 1): Somehow, the ''link'' to /etc/apache2/sites-available/vbz.net.conf in sites-enabled had been replaced by an actual file, so VirtualMin's updates to the sites-available version were not actually being implemented. I replaced the file with the proper link, reloaded Apache, and everything started working properly.... through my wired connection.

Still doesn't work over cellphone, though. >.<

Original problem was:

My latest mystery: http://htyp.org/User:Woozle/2017/08/16/https_subdomain_issue

What I need to figure out at this point, I think, is how or where Apache is deciding that a request for X is actually a request for Y, but only if it's https.

Post has attachment
Apparently North Carolina's part in the Civil War was its own mini-civil-war. This feels like it explains a lot about the present.

I'll reiterate what I said in a comment just now (with a bit of editing):

So, I think Ima start deleting comments that include images of people being executed, even if I think I might agree with the sentiment the commenter is trying to express.

It just makes my posts look like havens for revenge violence, and they are not intended as such.

Anger is fine. Forceful removals of hateful iconography, when due process has been exhausted or obstructed (as it had been here in Durham), are a positive step. Lashing out is a problem.

Yes, punch Nazis -- but don't run them over.

Yes, tear down monuments to horror -- but don't destroy artwork (and yeah the line is fuzzy sometimes -- but not in the case of the Durham statue).

...and yes, there should be serious consequences for the leaders -- but only after due process. We won't "hang Donald", however much he may deserve it and however much he might have said "Hang Hillary" (and incited his followers to repeat it).

We are better than that. We have to be better than that.

Hangings and other executions of anyone are, in my mind, hallmarks of barbarism.

I understand the anger. Honest feelings are legit and should be acknowledged; it's how we act in response to our feelings that makes the difference between savagery and compassion.

Post has shared content
Read the original piece on Reddit, rather than the excerpts here; the context of the quoted bits of text is much clearer there.

Basically, a rural right-winger who is unhappy with being marginalized and ridiculed by the Left (but also not happy with being on the same side as Nazis) puts their cards on the table -- and a left-winger responds in kind, explaining very clearly what the problem is.

TL;DR: if the non-batshit Right wants to have meaningful discussions with the rest of the country, they need to actually understand the issues in terms of cause-and-effect. They need to question the arguments and evidence presented by their leaders, rather than seeing them as weapons to use against "enemies". They need to question the beliefs of their in-groups -- be that "Christian", "Republican", "conservative", or whatever.

They need to use critical thinking. They need to want to understand how to think critically.

Primary example: the right-wing philosophy of "individual responsibility" is screwing all of us over to some extent, but the effects are worst in rural America -- where support for the Right is strongest.

via Mastodon https://octodon.social/users/Masek/updates/178193 .
So, this: https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/6tf5cr/the_altrights_chickens_come_home_to_roost/dlkal3j/?sort=confidence&context=3

»Tell me what I'm supposed to do, because no matter what I try, I'm left with the same result.

I grew up in a rural town. Extremely rural. In what some would label as a "flyover state."

This is my home. Small town America is forgotten by government. Left to rot in the Rust Belt until I'm forced to move away. Why should it be like that? Why should I have to uproot my whole life because every single opportunity has dried up here by no fault of my own?

I lean right. I can't hardly take it anymore. I can't have an opinion without being framed as a Nazi. I condemn the Charlottesville white nationalists and terrorism. I can't say anything because my opinion doesn't matter because some I'm "Dumbfuck Trump voter from a flyover state." [...]«

and the response:

»I'll give you an honest answer: it's meant in good faith, but it's hard to answer something like "why do people always insult me and people like me?" without risking coming across as insulting...so bear that in mind.

The tl;dr here is that when you simultaneously claim to have the kinds of complaints you have--small town rotting away, etc.--while also claiming to be right-leaning, you basically come across as either (a) disingenuous, (b) hypocritical , or (c) lacking insight...and neither (a), nor (b), nor (c) is a good look, really.

The reason you come across that way is because the right--generally on the side of individual responsibility and free-market, yadda-yadda--already has answers for you:

> It's not the government's place to pick winners and losers--that's
> what the free market is for! The opportunities are drying up in
> your town because the free market has found better opportunities
> elsewhere. Moreover, take some personal responsibility! No one
> forced you to stay there and watch your town rot away--you, yourself,
> are the one who freely chose to do that, no? Why didn't you take
> some responsibility for yourself, precisely? Moreover--and more
> importantly--if your town is that important to you, why didn't you
> take responsibility for your town? Did you try to start a business
> to increase local prosperity? Did you get involved in town governance
> and go soliciting outside investment? Or did you simply keep waiting
> for someone else to fix things?

These aren't necessarily nice things to tell you--I get that--but nevertheless they are the answers the principles of the right lead to if you actually apply them to you and your situation, no?

Thus why you risk coming across poorly: perhaps you are being (a)--disingenuous--and you don't actually believe what you claim to believe, but find it rhetorically useful? Perhaps you are being (b)--hypocritical--and you believe what you claim to believe, but only for other people, not yourself? Or perhaps you are simply (c)--uninsightful--and don't even understand the things you claim to believe well enough to apply them in your own situation?

In general if someone thinks you're either (a), (b), or (c)--whether consciously or not--they're going to take a negative outlook to you: seeing you as disingenuous or hypocritical means seeing you as participating in a discussion in bad faith, whereas seeing you as simply lacking insight means seeing you as someone running their mouth.

In practice I think a lot of people see this and get very frustrated--at least subconsciously--because your complaints make you come across as more left-leaning economically than you may realize...but--at least often--people like you still self-identify as right-leaning for cultural reasons. So you also get a bit of a "we should be political allies...but we can't, b/c you value your cultural identity more than your economics (and in fact don't even seem to apply your own economic ideas to yourself)".

A related issue is due to the fact that, overall, rural, low-density areas are already significantly over-represented at all levels of government--this is obvious at the federal level, and it's also generally-true within each state (in terms of the state-level reps and so on).

You may still feel as if "government has forgotten you"--I can understand and sympathize with the position--but if government has forgotten you, whose fault is that? Your general demographic has had outsized representation for longer than you, personally, have been alive--and the trend is actually going increasingly in your general demographic's direction due to aggressive state-level gerrymandering efforts, etc.--and so once again: if you--the collective "you", that is--have been "forgotten" it's no one's fault but yours--the collective "yours"!

This, too, leads to a certain natural condescension: if you have been overrepresented forever and can't prevent being "forgotten by government", the likeliest situation is simply that the collective "you" is simply incompetent--unable to use even outsized, disproportionate representation to achieve their own goals, whether due to asking for impossible things or being unwise in deciding how to vote.

This point can become a particular source of rancor due to the way that that overrepresentation pans out: the rural overrepresentation means that anything the left wants already faces an uphill climb--it has to overcome the "rural veto"!--and I think you can understand why that would be frustrating: "it's always the over-represented rural areas voting against what we want only to turn around and complain about how they feel ignored by government"...you're not ignored--at all!--it's just that your aggregate actions reveal your aggregate priorities are maybe not what you, individually, think they are.

I think that's enough: continually complaining in ways that are inconsistent with professed beliefs combined with continually claiming about being unable to get government to do what you want despite being substantially over-represented?

Not a good look.

> What am I supposed to do?

Overall I'd say if you really care about your town you should take more responsibility for it. If you aren't involved in your city council or county government yet, why aren't you? You can run for office, of course, or you can just research the situation for yourself.

Do you understand your town and county finances--the operating and maintenance costs of its infrastructure and the sources of revenue (tax base, etc)? Do you have a working understanding of what potential employers consider when evaluating a location to build a factory (etc.), or are you just assuming you do?

If your town has tried and failed to lure outside investment, have you tried to find out why it failed--e.g. "what would it have taken to make us the winner?"--or are you, again, assuming you understand?

I would focus on that--you can't guarantee anything will actually lead to getting the respect you want, but generally your odds of being respected are a lot better if you've done things to earn respect...simply asking for respect--and complaining about not being respected--rarely works well.«
Wait while more posts are being loaded