1,470 people who made more than $1 million in 2009 paid $0 in federal income tax. (Source: http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=3665889f-172e-4ec8-8273-a6f585c413fb)
85 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 58 previous comments
- Agree with everything you said there. I'm not suggesting that everyone should'nt pay tax -- Just the way in which you tax it. (Sales Tax). There is an order to this though.
FIRST Spending as a % of GDP targeted yearly or the beauracrats get spanked.
SECOND The top tier loopholes that were created by special interests, lobbiest and tax specialists to NOT pay 0% have to go away.
When all that's been done you can go after the weak meek poor and everyone in between for more taxes.
You can do them altogether but without one and two happening all it will do is kill consumption and indirectly business demand because what would be going to businesses will now go to government and indirectly end up servicing the special interests too PLUS raising taxes on 60% of Americans is political suicide. So Gain $18 Billion. Cost - Their careers.Apr 6, 2012
- No doesn't mean that either. That figure is for households, as in whole families. Median income for individuals is $26,364, big difference.Apr 5, 2012
- My suggestions to those who want to pay less taxes is to save and invest more money. It is simple as that. Let your money work for you and pay just 15% on your long term investments and dividends that you receive.
What if you are unable to save because you've selected a less lucrative field or you chose not to educate yourself? This is America, and you're free to reinvent or choose a different path. I didn't mature until I was 28 years old, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. It wasn't until then that I realized that I was responsible for my own success or lack of.
So don't punish me because I choose to save.Apr 5, 2012
- there obviously exists something like trickle down stupidity as well...@tek netz: go back to school!Apr 6, 2012
- A lot of the comments are predicated on incomplete and/or incorrect data. Education is definitely needed. And I don't mean Glenn Beck or Fox News.... :)
It's ironic to watch certain people discrediting, dismantling and dismembering the very institutions (albeit imperfect) that made this country the awe of the world and being indoctrinated with the notion that just being born on American soil is what made them great as they slowly dismantle the institutions that created the upward mobility.Apr 6, 2012
- I really think we need to look at a plan like Simpson Bowles for our long term financial strength as a country. It might not be perfect, but the right hate it because it would eliminate tax loopholes and cause the rich to pay more. The left hate it because it reforms some of the social safety programs that help the poor and elderly. We need Washington to work together instead of the constant bickering that seems to dominate our political discourse as of late. If we don't work together, this great country will surely fall apart. I don't get why we all talk about such a high debt, but never seem to do anything about it. Let's raise the Capitol gains tax to 22% and put that just to pay off the debt. Let's balance the budget, by pulling out social security and Medicare, and increase the taxes for those programs, or at least eliminate the 102k cap on Social security. There is a lot of things that we could do, but no one in Washington has the cajones to do it because there is no term limits, congress is in a continuous reelection cycle.Apr 6, 2012
Add a comment...