VIDEO: Sen. Sanders talks with Ezra Klein about how to create jobs through investment in infrastructure: http://youtu.be/o1ohL6WNPG8
34 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 11 previous comments
- I mean really...what CAN you do with a genuine shit hole....hang an air freshener and close the door as you walk away?Jun 13, 2012
- I would recommend infusing the water supply with Haldol as a start.Jun 13, 2012
- I'm sorry but Texas doesn't really have a balanced budget right now. It's all smoke and mirrors. Perry did some pretty shady things to make it appear as though the budget was balanced last year, but it really was not. Among other things, they delayed giving the schools $2.3 billion by one day in order to push it into the next fiscal year and keep it off the books for that budget. They're also making ridiculous assumptions that there will be zero growth in the number of school children, even though Texas is one of the faster growing states in the country.Jun 13, 2012
- Jun 13, 2012
- ActuallyBecause Texas is such a large part of the schoolbook market, Texas effectively determines the content of schoolbooks for virtually the entire country. Publishers aren't big on making separate production lines for the Bigot Belt and the rest of the states, so they let Texas standards dictate what the rest of the country is schooled with.Jun 13, 2012
- Actually actually Frank, read up on HBJ and how they had to fork their distribution process entirely to meet Texas "curriculum standards".
It has also created a counter-reactive market for texts that are not produced or used in Texas. Many school districts around the country have effectively boycotted publishers that do business with Texas, insisting (correctly) that any textbook that does meet Texas standards is revisionist propaganda and forbidding purchase or use thereof by the district. This has led, ironically, to some smaller publishers being able to make inroads despite higher cost, and has also accelerated adoption of electronic media.
But yes, it was certainly a national conservative effort to tilt education toward fundamentalism rather than a grass roots decision limiting the insanity to within the walls of the asylum. The Department of Education should have yanked all funding as soon as this passed; another one in the win column for Barry.Jun 13, 2012