This is some really interesting stuff by. Works quite nicely when combined with bumblebee - simply "optirun bash" to keep your card active in the proper configuration, then run this in a separate terminal. Not quite ready for mass-consumption yet, but this has the potential of replacing the VirtualGL part of Bumblebee in the future!
13 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 8 previous comments
- Yes, you could do that by simply switching the bumblebee xorg.conf files around (have the external be your main display and the internal the secondary). You still need to have two X servers running in that case though, and it doesn't make much sense since the nvidia-powered display will be way faster than the internal one...
PRIME (not primus) does do what you want, basically allowing you to display whatever you want on any output using any GPU to accelerate it.
In the meanwhile, you may want to look into x11vnc - it allows you to VNC into a running X server, and you could use this to VNC into the X server running on the secondary GPU from your first X session, basically duplicating your display. Note that you will have some "lag", but I've tried this myself and it does work nicely for things like presenting etc.Sep 4, 2012
- Thanks. Some of these alternatives are new to me, so I will look into them. Cheers :-)Sep 4, 2012
- Hi, sorry for hassling you guys. I searched for more info and the x11vnc route seems the most suitable approach at the moment. Is there any good write ups on this method? Is it just a case of starting the nVidia X server and running vncviewer in it to mirror my laptop display?Sep 4, 2012
- Hmmm! So I ran 'optirun nvidia-settings -c :8' from a terminal to start the nvidia card. I then ran 'DISPLAY=:8.0 vncviewer localhost:0' from a second terminal and I do get my laptop display mirrored on my external display but it isn't really usable for the following reasons:
1) It doesn't stretch to fill the monitor (not a major issue).
2) I can't see the laptop displays mouse from the external display, I just get a 'dot' wwhen the mouse is in the external display's X-server.
3) I am getting duplication of certain key presses, like open and close parenthesis.
I realise this isn't a support forum. Where can I go to get help with configuring this particular arrangement with bumblebee? Cheers.Sep 5, 2012
- Can the master repo be updated? The projects gives a false impression that is stalled :(Mar 10, 2016
- Well, you also could look at 'PRIME' in nouveau driver: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIMEMar 10, 2016
Add a comment...