1/3 (ages 7-8) or 1/4 (ages 9-10)
Look About Lodge, South Chagrin Reservation (Bentleyville)
The kids will love exploring the winter woods with a naturalist. Children should fress to be outside for most of the program. Bring a lunch.
Registration is required. Call 440-247-7075 for more information to register.
Bark beetles usually overwinter beneath the bark of dead or weakened trees. When the weather warms, the female beetle emits pheromones (chemicals that act like an attractive perfume) to catch the attention of a male. Once they mate, the female will excavate tunnels called “egg galleries” where--you guessed it--she will lay her eggs. Look for a big central groove from which other smaller tunnels branch.
The eggs will hatch into larvae called grubs. They resemble small, white, legless worms, and they have one mission: EATING! They eat the nutritional part of the tree beneath the bark. Look for tiny grooves that branch from the egg gallery. Follow these larval tunnels and notice how they get wider as the grub grew.
The grubs eat until they are ready to undergo metamorphosis (change) into an adult. This pre-adult stage is known as the pupa. This is where the grubs will develop legs, wings, antennae, and all the parts adult beetles have.
Look for small holes in the log. What you see is the exit hole when the adult beetle emerges from beneath the bark. You have just witnessed the evidence of a beetle life cycle! With that messy bark beetle cursive, it’s easy to see why they have earned the nickname “engraver beetles.”
"Curious About Coyotes"
Sunday, January 13 @ 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
Garfield Park Nature Center
Garfield Park Reservation now has signs informing hikers that coyotes can be seen within the park! In this short session, you will receive some basic information and have an opportunity to ask questions about coyotes.
Call 216-341-3152 or visit http://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/Main/EventsProgramsCalendar/Curious-about-Coyotes-445.aspx for more information.
4101 Fulton Parkway Cleveland OH, 44144
The oldest park district in Ohio, the Cleveland Metropolitan Park District was born in 1917, the initiative of a young, self-taught engineer who had conceived the idea of an outer chain of parks with connecting boulevards some 12 years earlier. William Stinchcomb's genius was to anticipate the future need for open space at a time when Cuyahoga County outside of Cleveland was still largely rural. From a few scattered donations of land in the Rocky River Valley, the Park District grew to embrace some of the most scenic areas of Greater Cleveland.
Stinchcomb first suggested his idea in 1905 and repeated his plea in 1909. Cleveland, which was then the nation's sixth largest city, finally formed a park board in 1912 following an act by the Ohio Senate. In April 1912, West Side brewer Leonard Schlather offered to donate approximately three acres of bottom land in the Rocky River Valley.
But, there was a problem. Although the park board had the power to receive gifts of land and property, it had no money of its own and no authority to raise money by bonds or taxation. The park board remained basically dormant for several years.
State law changed in 1915, allowing the Cuyahoga County Commissioners to appropriate money to the park board and in 1916 the first funds were received. Stinchcomb, who had been elected Cuyahoga County engineer, stayed involved in the project as a consulting engineer and developed the "Proposed Cuyahoga County Park and Boulevard System." The plan showed a continuous parkway encircling Cuyahoga County, threading its way through the Rocky River, Big Creek, Chippewa Creek, Tinkers Creek, Chagrin River and Euclid Creek valleys, and connecting, in two places, with the existing city of Cleveland park system.
In March 1917, the Ohio General Assembly passed a bill providing for "the conservation of natural resources by the creation, development and improvement of park districts." On June 30, 1917, the Board of Trustees of Euclid Township petitioned the Probate Judge of Cuyahoga County for the creation of the Cleveland Metropolitan Park District. In July, a new park board was appointed and then met for the first time on July 30, 1917. Stinchcomb stayed on as a consultant without compensation.
From its inception through the 1920s, the Cleveland Metropolitan Park Board concentrated its efforts on assembling parkland. The Park District materially took shape during its first decade. In 1920, the Park District held title to just 109 acres of land in Rocky River and Big Creek; by 1930, it had acquired at a cost of $3.9 million, 9,000 acres in nine large, unconnected reservations: Rocky River, Huntington, Big Creek, Hinckley, Brecksville, Bedford, South Chagrin, North Chagrin and Euclid Creek.
The next step, connecting the reservations, would be tackled in years to come.