Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Cherry City Transmissions
6 followers
6 followers
About
Cherry City Transmissions's posts

Post has attachment
1997 Wrangler
Photo

Recently, we finished straightening out a mess caused by another shop.
A customer with an Audi A6 took his car to a shop who promised to do quality work for a very low price.  Fourteen months later, he had the Audi towed from that shop to us.

The transmission which they had attempted to rebuild, was held in by only two bell housing bolts and was leaking.  On the drive test, as soon as the transmission tried to shift, the computer system would throw it into limp in mode (third gear only) with a bang.  We could not find out what the owner’s initial problem was, he had forgotten.

Upon removing the transmission we found the valve body bolts had been bolted into the wrong holes, these bolts are different lengths in different places.  One of the long bolts had been run up through the valve body and through the internal wiring housing causing a direct short.  There were other problems inside the transmission.  For instance, the valve body had been taken apart and put back together with valves in the wrong bores.  My builder was able to figure this out from memory.  He built quite a few Audi transmissions in the California bay area.

We rebuilt the transmission and reinstalled it.  The computer still banged it into limp in on the first shift.  However, instead of 28 codes we only had 6 codes left in the computer system.  Audi does not provide wiring or hydraulic diagrams of the transmissions.  So, I took the car to an Audi dealership for diagnosis.  Their “technician” came back saying that the anti-lock brake module was bad and that there was an internal transmission problem.  When I went back to pick up the car, the service writer was nice enough to let me copy down information about which solenoids are on or off for which gears and which three of the eight solenoids were the shift solenoids.  Then our transmission association (ATRA) was able to find a pin our chart for the transmission control module.  With this information in hand, my transmission builder was able to discover that the output speed sensor signal was not reaching the transmission control module.

After running new wires from the speed sensor, in the differential (which is located on the back of the transmission), up through to the engine compartment, through the firewall and into the transmission control module under the front passenger seat.  The transmission worked great and the ABS error codes went away.

This experience made me thankful for the technician who works for me and pondering the worth of the dealer technicians.  They have all the equipment and the information specific to Audi at the finger tips.  However, they do not seem to know how to use it.  They would have replaced the transmission and the ABS control module and found the car still had the original problem.

And for those of you looking for the least expensive repair–this customer paid at least an additional $2,000 to have the damage caused by the cut rate shop replaced or fixed.

Post has attachment
PhotoPhotoPhotoPhotoPhoto
Our Work (8 photos)
23 Photos - View album

Post has attachment
PhotoPhotoPhotoPhotoPhoto
Our Work (15 photos)
15 Photos - View album
Wait while more posts are being loaded