Profile cover photo
Profile photo
James Lang
15 followers
15 followers
About
James's posts

Post has attachment
Altering Michigan Wetlands
Selections from “A Property Owner’s Guide to Wetland Protection in Michigan” MSU Extension “Most people are familiar with the cattail or lily pad wetlands found in areas of standing water, but wetlands can also look like grassy meadows, shrubby fields, or m...

Post has attachment
Oakland Justifies Lake St. Clair Pollution
For years, local authorities have treated combined sewer overflows (CSOs) with chlorine to kill bacteria in preparation for diverting the overflow following heavy rains away from wastewater treatment plants and into natural water bodies. The U.S. Environmen...

Post has attachment
Corps of Engineers Relents, Will Dredge Cleveland Ship Channel
James F. McCarty reports in the Cleveland Plain Dealer on October 3, 2016: CLEVELAND, Ohio – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced late Monday that it would dredge the upper reaches of the Cuyahoga River shipping channel where sediment has been piling ...

Post has attachment
Improve Lake St. Clair by Removing Floodplain Sediments
Michigan and Ontario residents alarmed about pollution in Lake St. Clair shouldn’t limit their concern to combined sewer overflows. More could be done to improve water quality upstream in the small ditches and creeks that contribute algae-fueling nutrients ...

Post has attachment
Dogs Sniff Out and Back Track Sewage
Lake and beach pollution from human waste in and around Lake St. Clair has led to a lot of finger pointing, but too few solid conclusions as to sources. Are the sources faulty septic tanks, leaky municipal sewage pipes or overflowing retention-treatment bas...

Post has attachment
Stormwater Runoff Fees Omitted on 20,000 Detroit Properties
Over 20,000 parcels that contribute stormwater runoff but aren’t being charged will be added to DWSD’s billing system this October. *  SUMMARY  *** Every year, billions of gallons of contaminated stormwater runoff and snowmelt pour off roofs, sidewalks, p...

Post has attachment
Water Data, Citizen-Scientists and Spectrophotometrics
Imagine that seven or eight times a day, different volunteer citizen-scientists around Rochester, MI sampled the waters of Paint Creek, a tributary of the Clinton River, for contaminants. Or 15 times a day in the Minnow Pond Drain at Farmington Hills, leadi...

Post has attachment
Water Pollution Reduction Credits
The type of non-point source water pollution reduction project described below may be useful in the Saginaw River watershed, the Black River watershed (upstream of Port Huron and the St. Clair River) and smaller tributaries to Lake St. Clair, such as the Cl...

Post has attachment
Artificial Fish Habitat in Industrialized River Segment
Where natural fish habitat has been lost in an industrialized portion of a river, like River Rouge in Detroit or the Maumee in Toledo, some remarkable innovations now enable fish to shelter and feed while moving between natural habitat upriver and downstrea...

Post has attachment
Worms to Help with Detroit’s Remaining CSOs
Who knew? Now Detroit can handle 95% of its combined sewer overflows! Worms will help with the remaining 5%. On June 24, 2016, The Atlantic City Lab published an article by Jessica Leigh Hester titled “Detroit Is Turning Vacant Lots Into Sponges for Stormwa...
Wait while more posts are being loaded