- Early Global, SMTP, PDFFiller, Troublemaker Award, Global Cycle Solutions, TerrafugiaAngel Investor, present
- Fast Engines, MIT Blackjack, Vert
Moscow, Soviet UnionAlma materColumbia University
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyOccupationProfessional blackjack player,entrepreneurKnown forMember of Strategic Investments
Founder of Amphibian Investments
Semyon Dukach is a former professional blackjack player with the MIT Blackjack Team. He played with Strategic Investments and later was one of the founding members and team leaders on Amphibian Investments whose exploits were chronicled in Ben Mezrich’s Busting Vegas and referred to in Mezrich’s Bringing Down the House.
Dukach was the main character in Busting Vegas and the only member of the team to be referred to by his real name in either book. Born on the 25th of October 1968 in Moscow, Dukach moved to the US in 1979. He completed a BS in Computer Science at Columbia University in New York in 1990 and a MS in Computer Science at MIT in Boston in 1993. While attending MIT, Dukach was trained as a player on the famous MIT Blackjack team whose exploits have been chronicled in the Hollywood movie 21. Starting out with Strategic Investments (SI) in 1992, Dukach was a major player on the team and enjoyed great success in those early years. After the end of the SI, Dukach continued to play with a few other team members.
At the end of 1994, Dukach and a few players split off and formed a second, independent team. This new team was referred to as the Amphibians and the team that they left was referred to as the Reptiles.
Since stopping play in the late 1990s, Dukach's involvement in blackjack has been limited, although he does offer seminars teaching the techniques that were used by the Amphibians to prospective players today at Blackjack Science. He has also been involved in many other notable ventures outside of his blackjack career:
- Authored work on virtual reality at IBM Research in 1988
- Authored a 1992 e-commerce paper on SNPP: A Simple Network Payment Protocol
- Founded Fast Engines in '97, sold in 2000
- Co-founded Vert in 1998
- Lead investor and interim CEO of AccuRev in 2001 
- CEO and Chairman of EMUmail and SMTP.com
- Co-founded PDFFiller
- Was a CEO mentor at the Cambridge Business Development Center
- Founded StartupHive.org
- ^ Blackjack Science
- ^ 'The Player, Semyon Dukach'
- ^ a b Design for Interactive Performance in A Virtual Laboratory - Wang, Koved, Dukach (ResearchIndex)
- ^ SNPP: A Simple Network Payment Protocol - Dukach
- ^ AccuRev, Inc. Releases Version 2.5 of AccuRev/CM With an Integrated Issue Tracking System June 18, 2001 | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET.com
- ^ Blackjack Experts Article
- ^ Mass. High Tech
- ^ semyon.com
- Jones Vanguard, Columbia, MIT