So, the off-centre fingerprint sensor on the Galaxy S8+ turns out not to be a problem at all. Now I've got a case on it, it's ridiculously easy to slide my finger off the edge of the case onto the sensor. It's actually in a great position for me. I picked up my Honor 8 with it's centered sensors & that actually feels slightly unnatural & awkward in comparison.
Who'd have thunk it!
Who'd have thunk it!
no plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 16 previous comments
- Adrian B+1My S8+ screen has Kev Wright levels of perfect whiteness!
I'm enjoying mine immensely so far.
My biggest gripe with the S7 Edge was the relatively weak audio jack output; they seem to have improved the headphone output quality back to normal Samsung Note standards, rather than the rather weak DAC they had in the S7.
From an aesthetics point of view, even the sexy black iPhone 7 looks like it was designed by Fisher Price in comparison.
I've not had time to explore some of the features, & I'm not going to bother with face or retina unlocking as the fingerprint sensor works perfectly for me. Swipe-left for Bixby is already irritating though - I'm going to ask Samsung Technical Support how to remove it.5w
- i tried the s8+ for about an hour and didn't like the fingerprint positioning (i use both left and right hands to hold devices). And i found the aspect ratio didn't work well for PowerPoints, slides, pdfs etc which I want from a larger device.
I'm still hoping for the iPhone pro, Samsung note 8 and Honor note 9!
One good thing with Three is that if you order online you get 14 days to return it (and it's unlocked 🙂).5w
- That's just not Three, it's EU distance selling regulations, so actually applies to anything.
I've been looking for a replacement for the Mega 6.3, & this is finally it. I agree the aspect ratio isn't optimal for PowerPoint, but it's fine for Excel & Word (so far, at least), and split view works a lot better for document reviewing at this aspect ratio.
I've not watched any movies etc. yet, so black bars may prove to be an irritant, but for me it's so far so good.5w
- yes, that's one of the good things about buying online (at least from Europe and hopefully still intact post Brexit).
I've also got used to windows phone where there's more use of the available screen with one note and I've found I need 6"+ to view and edit PowerPoints.5w
- Hi Andrew. My test device for the past couple of weeks was the 8, but I have forked out my own hard cash on the 8+.
For Powerpoint etc, its a great device, very fast output to HDMI, and if you use the DEX feature its genuinely impressive (and works a little better than WP10 continuum, in that its no where near as fussy over power).
Another thing is that the software SS are now putting on through the launcher and apps is so slick and (I think) good looking, I see no need for other launchers.
Finally (to be confirmed), one of our Android guru's in R&D has re-cracked the button assignment API, so I think the Bixby button should be recappable soon (again).5w
- i tried the standard PowerPoint slide size on the s8+ and found it too small for me. On a standard phone size a 6" screen size is the minimum I've found practical. That was one of the main things I was hoping for with the s8+, but sadly not. So, I'm sticking with my approach of a smaller one handed device and a larger (>6") second device☺.
It would be interesting to hear any other differences between Continuum and Samsung's version (though i haven't used continuum and couldn't see me using it extensively, under current conditions).
That's great to hear about the button remapping. I can understand Samsung wanting to ensure that people use Bixby but it seems a shame not to allow remapping as standard).5w