- Aerospace Engineer
I call myself a Simple Atheist although Simple Naturalist would probably be more accurate. I use the term "simple" not because I think the world is simple or that we should be simple, but rather I think we should seek to not complicate our lives with actions (note thought is an action) that convolute what we know and adds nothing significant. To this end I have created Da Rules and and tend to focus on best utilization of what we know, letting what we don't know to the future to resolve. My morals come from a combination of evolving social morals and life's experience to guide me and I get little from classic philosophy. My actions are guided by a balance of my interest and humanity at large. I realize that simplifying one aspect of ones life is always just a mechanism to fit more complexity somewhere else. My goal in making my life simple is to allow me to focus on those things I find important and not get pissed off by the rest.
don't need Science to know that there are no gods. All you have to do
is look around without assuming god's existence and you will see
there is nothing in our reality that even suggests that there is a
god. What science does, is remove that void of ignorance about the
world around us, that we humans so readily fill with delusions of
ourselves. So often, ignorance is that still water that mirrors our
own reflection, projecting ourselves deep into that pool of
ignorance, and making us believe that behind everything there is a
creature that in so many ways looks like us. It's not God theists
worship, It's themselves.
Da Rules (a work in progress):
1. I hold no truths to be absolute and no absolutes to be true. (No Absolutes Rule)
2. I hold no truth to be self evident. (No Free Ride rule)
3. I hold no belief on anything for which we humans know nothing about. (No Making Shit up rule)
4. I hold no humans can truly know or even imagine anything infinite and reality seems to concur. (Nothing infinite matters Rule)
5. I hold no abstractions to be real except as they manifest their usefulness to the holder. (Usefulness of Abstractions Rule)
6. I hold no belief about others that I am not willing to apply to myself. (Play Fair Rule)
7. I hold no human like being is behind any aspect of our universe except our own actions. (Don't be Narcissistic rule)
8. I hold no delusion that humans are inherently logical. (Silly Humans rule)
9. I hold on to reality as tightly as I can. (Reality rules!)
10. I hold my pants up with a belt, most times. (Token Reality Rule)
11. Follow the evidence wherever it takes you (Prime directive)
12.Belief shapes Perception (Believing is Seeing)
13. Never be afraid to be wrong
14. Be honest with yourself above all else.
15. Live within the bounds of human experience and not human imagination.
16. Define yourself by what you know and not what you don't know.
17. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
18. Worry and anger do nothing to improve a situation
19. All things in moderation especially moderation (seek balance over the center).
20. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, when you don't know what else to do.
21. Almost nobody sees themselves as truly evil or completely wrong.
22. Conspiracy is much rarer than incompetence in explaining the human state.
23. You've got to save a lot a butt if you want to get away with murder
Additionally I use
1.Occam's Razor - when faced with competing hypothesis that are equal in other respects, selecting the one that makes the fewest new assumptions.
2. Sagan Standard - Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
- University Of ArizonaAerospace Engineer, 1986