Revisiting the Facebook 'Other' folder disaster.
Facebook has a folder for messages into which it unceremoniously dumps email from people who don't normally contact you.
Because hardly anyone ever checks this "other" folder, many very important messages to missed.
Every once in a while, a writer will ask his readers to go check their "Other" folder to crowdsource the discovery of surprising messages that have been sitting there.
Recently, +The New York Times
columnist +David Pogue
asked the question, and the results are absolutely stunning. Here are a few examples from the many he published:
• “Notification of the death of a friend was hidden in my Other box. I had been very hurt at not being told, and actually missed her funeral.”
• “Thank you, David. I will never be able to say that enough. Our son died very unexpectedly on New Year’s Eve past, and thanks to your note, I am just now seeing dozens and dozens of kind and wonderful messages of sympathy and support.”
• “I learned of the death of a former, valued colleague two months ago.”
• “Just looked at my ‘Other’ messages and found one about a job opening — in 2011. Think it’s been filled?”
• “Just found a message from a long-lost friend in my ‘Other’ folder. I’d been trying to find her for more than a decade with no success.
David Pogue, when she and I finally reunite, our first glass will be raised to you!”
• “Just discovered my Other folder! Missed an amazing party (damn!) and found a ton of messages dating back several years!! How the hell did that happen?! I am a savvy social media user and I’m astonished at this!”
• “Whoa. I had 58 messages there, one being an invitation to a bridal shower.”
• “Unbelievable! My husband’s wallet was lost and presumed stolen — someone had found it a year ago and sent us a Facebook message, which was hidden until now! Thanks so much.”http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/what-readers-found-in-facebooks-other-folder/