I've taken to spending some time answering political questions on Quora recently. I was quite active in support of Bernie Sanders and in the last couple of weeks took up the cause of Jill Stein.
An unfounded concern is whether Stein will get a significant number votes. My answer is below.
There are several reasons Stein may attract a significant number of votes, perhaps even sufficient to win.
For all those naysayers, tell me how you felt about Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders at the start of the race. You felt like they wouldn’t last 3 months. Don’t deny it.
Read on for my reasoning:
1. Clinton and Trump are the least liked and least trusted candidates in decades. The voters are eager for more options.
2. Trump and Sanders were outsiders, but hugely successful, meaning being an outsider may be a benefit in this election.
3. Stein’s platform is nearly the same as Sanders, so his supporters would feel very comfortable with Stein.
4. The largest segment of voters, Independents, have received little representation in the election so far. Independents account for approximately 45% of voters, yet few states allow them to vote in primaries and they are always under-represented or flat-out merged into the 2 parties in polls. Meaning the general election could be shockingly different than polls and primaries suggest.
5. Main stream media is becoming less and less important with the growth of the internet and social media. So the advantage the 2 parties have with extra media coverage has less influence. Meaning the very favorable response to Sanders and now Stein could have a big impact.
This is an exciting moment in the US, possibly a time of great change in politics and a renewal of democracy!
#greenParty #JillStein #SteinBaraka #ItsInOurHands #GoGreen #JillNotHill