15 West 16th Street New York, NY 10011
The YIVO Institute for Jewish Research was founded as the Yiddish Scientific Institute (Yidisher visnshaftlekher institut) in 1925 by scholars in Berlin and Vilna (then Wilno, Poland; now Vilnius, Lithuania), and relocated to New York City in 1940. Our mission is to preserve, study and teach the cultural history of Jewish life throughout Eastern Europe, Germany and Russia. Our educational and public outreach programs concentrate on all aspects of this 1000-year history and its continuing influence in America. YIVO’s archival collections and library constitute the single greatest resource for such study in the world, including approximately 24 million letters, manuscripts, photographs, films, sound recordings, art works, and artifacts; as well as the largest collection of Yiddish-language materials in the world.
What does “YIVO” stand for?
It’s an acronym for Yidisher visnshaftlekher institute (Jewish Scientific Institute), the original Yiddish name of the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research.