Geez. Nothing quite like a Leo Laporte push on Twitter. I think I gained over 200 followers since yesterday evening after a discussion with Leo on what espresso machines to consider. BTW, yay for Leo for considering the Breville Dual Boiler - it's a great machine.
3 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 6 previous comments
- Steaming is slow on the BDB, but it is still faster than the Silvia (about 2x faster), and you don't have to wait for it. But what's most important to me is that the machine delivers very consistent brewing temperatures through a shot pull and its recovery time is very very quick.
The GS/3 is a kick ass machine, make no mistake. It is a full blown commercial machine for the home and convertable between plumbed in and reservoir, making it a great catering machine. I feel the biggest mistake La Marzocco did with the machine was cheapen it up with the side panels out of plastic, plus some issues with steaming (the steam is too wet).Aug 16, 2012
- I would love the GS3 and would probably pick it if money wasn't an issue. $1100 is much more feasible than $6400 but I think the BDB is probably a much better bang for the buck.
Thanks for the info about the GS3's steaming. Would you say the BDB's steam is drier than the GS3's, even though the GS3 is faster?Aug 16, 2012
- BDB is certainly more dry than my own GS/3 but according to La Marzocco, mine is not indicative of most GS/3s (mind u, whenever I do have a problem with my La Marzocco machines, they say to me "you are the first person to complain about this" - which ironically, many people have heard from them!). The GS/3 otoh is a speed demon on steaming. Almost as fast as my Speedster (king of the hill). The Speedster can do 10oz of milk (in a 20oz pitcher) in something crazy like 12 seconds.Aug 16, 2012
- ... That seems so fast it's uncontrollable! High end machines are crazy. Would love the chance just to pull a shot on one of those!
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Helped solidify my thoughts on the BDB as a great option (seems like a hands down winner over the Oscar or the BZ07).Aug 16, 2012
- Gotta love Leo. One of these days I should knock on his door. He's close by.Aug 16, 2012
- bring him some good coffee!Aug 17, 2012