Sporting a makeshift standup desk. Either this, or I'm going to a chiropractor...
one plus one
Shared publicly•View activity
- You know, that's a really good idea. We did this several years ago at the office, all of us have adjustable desks (motorized, goes up and down) and these saddle-type chairs with no backrests, forces you to sit up straight when you use it. So we basically just alternate between standing and sitting all day... Maybe around 50/50. It's done wonders for my back - I used to get bad cramps ("noidannuoli") maybe once a year, but no more. Well, I do also go to a physiotherapist every two weeks, but yeah, the standing is great help. Sit-down jobs aren't that great for your back..Jul 17, 2012
- I've been suffering from sciatic nerve crap, and I'm hoping, maybe after sitting 6-8 hours in the cockpit, followed by another 6 hours in front of the screen as a hobby, I'll get a little standing in instead. Some would suggest actual exercising, but me? Not a chance :)
The height of the Ikea drawer is not ideal, had to prop up even more levels to keep the arms relatively relaxed, otherwise I'll be looking at shoulder and wrist problems.
Did you notice any heightened productivity or alertness etc.like people claim standing desks may produce? I'm a bit skeptical on that, but I noticed just after 2 hours of working standing up, not once did I think about my lower back.Jul 17, 2012
- Actually I think it's totally true: I don't get as tired or bored as fast when standing up. After a few hours the standing up does make your legs tired, though, so that's why alternating between sitting and standing is great. So either an adjustable table or a tall-standing chair and you're golden.
But also: exercise, dude. You live in California, it's always pretty - get a bike, easy, fun, and great exercise. Do it!Jul 17, 2012
- I think I'm the one that has to sit down because there is an Apple logo on desk. Feeling faint....Jul 19, 2012
- Yeah Todd, my HackPro. It's fantastic!Jul 19, 2012
- You stole my case ;-)
Hack a Kinnect, get a mic and dictation software, and you can just stand up and get exercise.Jul 19, 2012