I can't decide whether to go on a crusade, or whether to throw my hands up in disgust and just chalk it up to the fact that some businesses will always, always take the shortcut. This is what we've come to?
8 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 20 previous comments
- @Meg: Semantics. The important part is that I worked a G. I. Joe reference into a marketing discussion. Shaw 1, Universe 0.Jul 20, 2011
- This post has been making me stabby all day. I feel a particularly vitriolic blog post might soon be spewing forth from these here fingers.Jul 20, 2011
- Had an interesting exchange withon the Klout topic last week. I view Klout as an impossible reduction of subjective idea to an objective number. Like trying to give a rating to whether "today is a nice day". Labeling it a "7" means nothing because "nice" varies from person to person, and all our scales differ.
Jay made some great points about the semantic issues in choosing the name Klout, and other items I hadn't considered before, but seemed to feel there was some measurable values in the mix. Wish I could find his comment, but searching old G+ posts is still maddening to me.
Either way the end result is a short cut that is going to cause headaches for many real professionals in several fields. It will rise in visibility, which will encourage people to game it, which will eventually weaken its value... like Twitter followers before it, etc.
Maybe I should quit complaining and just figure out what the next Arbitrary Social Score (ASS) will be after Klout and get ahead of the curve. There's money to be made in giving people your ASS.Jul 20, 2011
- I've got a big ASS. :)Jul 20, 2011
- For +Jeff Moriarty There is a "View all activity on this post" link, at the bottom-left of the Notifications window, that may help? Respectfully, Nicholas Chase - producer / director / writer / engineer....Jul 20, 2011
- - Thanks, but the comment exchange was from a different thread, somewhere in the past week. Can't even recall if it was one of mine, or someone else's where Jay and I both chimed in. There are a few past convos I've had that are now "lost in time" out there somewhere. Ah well.Jul 20, 2011