Did you know that the Valley Relics Museum holds hundreds of rare documents, photographs, ledgers and diaries from the early pioneers of the San Fernando Valley. Here's an example from the town of Lankershim. (North Hollywood)
Alfred H. Prince and his family settled in 1893 in North Hollywood. Mr. Prince came to the valley in 1890 having set out with his brother George in search of land where he ...could live "sick or fired". They decided on 32 acres of land which in 1927 was bought for development of the beautiful North Hollywood Park. The house in which the Princes lived would be across the street from the Masonic Temple on Tujunga Ave. (If it were still standing today). The gum trees in that area of the park once lined the driveway to the Princes home. Mr. Alfred Prince entered the concrete business when ranching did not bring much of a monetary return. In 1912 he built the first sidewalk in North Hollywood which is the strip between Magnolia and Chandler which still bears his name. He also erected the first house of concrete blocks in the valley which stood at 5512 Lankershim Blvd. George Prince served on the Hollywood Board of Education as well as a Trustee of the Lankershim School District and the Secretary of the Lankershim Improvement Association. The Prince family also had a fruit drying business on the property which employed up to 400 employees. All documents with in this photo belong to the valley Relics collection.