Profile cover photo
Profile photo
stuart murphy
1,856 followers -
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The content of my gallery(s) / photostream CANNOT BE COPIED, DISTRIBUITED, REPRODUCED, EDITED, TRANSMITTED, UPLOADED or
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. The content of my gallery(s) / photostream CANNOT BE COPIED, DISTRIBUITED, REPRODUCED, EDITED, TRANSMITTED, UPLOADED or

1,856 followers
About
stuart's posts

Post has attachment
Originally, a polyptych was a religious piece on an alter which had four or more hinged panels. Each panel displayed a relief or painting. Today photographers typically use the term to describe a photo-story; a themed photographic sequence or a group of pictures with something in common

For this particular photography project each polyptych will focus on a subject located in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley, ranging from sculptures, statues, architecture and memorials.

____________

Walls and Bricks

All these photographs were taken on County Way, which is a street in Barnsley town centre

#polyptych #photography #StuartMurphy #BarnsleyInPolyptych #Barnsley #Yorkshire #England #UnitedKingdom #architecture #building #history #heritage #bricks #walls
Photo

Post has attachment
Originally, a polyptych was a religious piece on an alter which had four or more hinged panels. Each panel displayed a relief or painting. Today photographers typically use the term to describe a photo-story; a themed photographic sequence or a group of pictures with something in common

For this particular photography project each polyptych will focus on a subject located in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley, ranging from sculptures, statues, architecture and memorials.

____________

The Old High School for Girls

Built in 1905 by Herbert Tudor Buckland and Edward Haywood-Farmer, the High School is a Grade II listed building.

in later years the High School went onto become Barnsley Sixth Form college. It has recently been converted to private residences and renamed to "College House"
#polyptych #photography #StuartMurphy #BarnsleyInPolyptych #Barnsley #Yorkshire #England #UnitedKingdom #architecture #building #history #heritage
Photo

Post has attachment
Originally, a polyptych was a religious piece on an alter which had four or more hinged panels. Each panel displayed a relief or painting. Today photographers typically use the term to describe a photo-story; a themed photographic sequence or a group of pictures with something in common.

For this particular photography project each polyptych will focus on a subject located in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley, ranging from sculptures, statues, architecture and memorials.

__________________

The Old Queens Hotel

The hotel was designed by the architects Wade & Turner for James Fox a local wine merchant and in 1874.

Above the windows of the ground floor are a number of carved portrait heads of Victorian men and women, including a young Queen Victoria and Henry Richardson, the first Mayor of Barnsley.

The building no longer operates as a hotel and is now used by Estate agents and Barnsley College

#architecture #polyptych #RegentStreet #Barnsley #Yorkshire #England #Britain #QueensHotel #StuartMurphy #BarnsleyInPolyptych #building #history #heritage
Photo

Post has attachment
Barnsley in Polyptych - A Photographic Project by Stuart Murphy.

_____________

Originally, a polyptych was a religious piece on an alter which had four or more hinged panels. Each panel displayed a relief or painting. Today photographers typically use the term to describe a photo-story; a themed photographic sequence or a group of pictures with something in common.

For this particular photography project each polyptych will focus on a subject located in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley, ranging from sculptures, statues, architecture and memorials.

_____________

Barnsley Town Hall is the seat of local government in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley.

The foundation stone of Barnsley Town Hall was laid on 21 April 1932 and was opened by His Royal Highness Edward, Prince of Wales on 14 December 1933. The cost of construction of the town hall and of furnishing the new seat of local government was £188,037 12/10d.

Barnsley Town Hall bears more than a passing resemblance to the Parliament Buildings of Northern Ireland, Stormont, and, like Stormont, its façade is sculpted in Portland stone designed by the same architect, Sir Arnold Thornely.

#polyptych #photography #StuartMurphy #BarnsleyInPolyptych #Barnsley #Yorkshire #England #UnitedKingdom #architecture #building #history #heritage
Photo

Post has attachment
Hylton Castle (#2) - in Sunderland, England
Photography by Stuart Murphy.

Hylton Castle is located in Sunderland, England and was built by Sir William Hylton as his principal residence in about 1400. The rich Hylton family had estates in Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland and by the 13th century had assumed the title of a barony within the Bishopric of Durham.

Hylton Castle was intended to reflect the family’s status. Whether there were earlier buildings here is not known but the impressive gatehouse tower, the only part of the castle still standing, was almost certainly intended to be the dominant element of the new building. Other buildings were situated beyond the tower to the east, possibly arranged around a courtyard.
The Hyltons maintained their rank and wealth until the Civil War. Despite a reduction in their means, the family remained prosperous enough to refurbish the interior and add wings to the north and south side of the gatehouse in the first half of the 18th century.
The last Hylton died in 1746 and shortly afterwards the estate was sold. A century later it was bought by a local man, William Briggs, who demolished the 18th century wings, added larger windows and rebuilt the interior. The appearance of the 18th century house is, however, known from a number of antiquarian illustrations. Further deterioration in the 20th century led to only the exterior walls being saved.

The gatehouse tower, a substantial rectangular building, originally with four storeys, provided self-contained living accommodation for the Hylton family.
The ground floor included a central gate-passage, which was flanked by vaulted chambers. Those on the north side were used as storerooms, while those on the south side functioned as the guardroom and as a private chamber.
On the next floor was the great hall, rising to roof level, with a kitchen, pantry and buttery at one end and a chamber at the other.
Similar withdrawing chambers existed on the second floor; these were reached from the hall via a stair at the northern end of the projecting central east turret.
The third private chamber on the second floor was over the kitchens and was reached via the main stair at the southern end of the central east turret. A further two private chambers existed in the central east tower, accessed via the main stair.

The building is now part of the English Heritage collection

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/hylton-castle/

#Hylton #HyltonCastle #EnglishHeritage #building #architecture #StuartMurphy #FujiXT2 #photography
Photo

Post has attachment
Hylton Castle Triptych - in Sunderland, England
Photography by Stuart Murphy.

Hylton Castle is located in Sunderland, England and was built by Sir William Hylton as his principal residence in about 1400. The rich Hylton family had estates in Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland and by the 13th century had assumed the title of a barony within the Bishopric of Durham.

Hylton Castle was intended to reflect the family’s status. Whether there were earlier buildings here is not known but the impressive gatehouse tower, the only part of the castle still standing, was almost certainly intended to be the dominant element of the new building. Other buildings were situated beyond the tower to the east, possibly arranged around a courtyard.
The Hyltons maintained their rank and wealth until the Civil War. Despite a reduction in their means, the family remained prosperous enough to refurbish the interior and add wings to the north and south side of the gatehouse in the first half of the 18th century.
The last Hylton died in 1746 and shortly afterwards the estate was sold. A century later it was bought by a local man, William Briggs, who demolished the 18th century wings, added larger windows and rebuilt the interior. The appearance of the 18th century house is, however, known from a number of antiquarian illustrations. Further deterioration in the 20th century led to only the exterior walls being saved.

The gatehouse tower, a substantial rectangular building, originally with four storeys, provided self-contained living accommodation for the Hylton family.
The ground floor included a central gate-passage, which was flanked by vaulted chambers. Those on the north side were used as storerooms, while those on the south side functioned as the guardroom and as a private chamber.
On the next floor was the great hall, rising to roof level, with a kitchen, pantry and buttery at one end and a chamber at the other.
Similar withdrawing chambers existed on the second floor; these were reached from the hall via a stair at the northern end of the projecting central east turret.
The third private chamber on the second floor was over the kitchens and was reached via the main stair at the southern end of the central east turret. A further two private chambers existed in the central east tower, accessed via the main stair.

The building is now part of the English Heritage collection

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/hylton-castle/

#Hylton #HyltonCastle #EnglishHeritage #building #architecture #StuartMurphy #FujiXT2 #triptych #photography
Photo

Post has attachment
Hylton Castle - in Sunderland, England
Photography by Stuart Murphy.

Hylton Castle is located in Sunderland, England and was built by Sir William Hylton as his principal residence in about 1400. The rich Hylton family had estates in Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland and by the 13th century had assumed the title of a barony within the Bishopric of Durham.

Hylton Castle was intended to reflect the family’s status. Whether there were earlier buildings here is not known but the impressive gatehouse tower, the only part of the castle still standing, was almost certainly intended to be the dominant element of the new building. Other buildings were situated beyond the tower to the east, possibly arranged around a courtyard.
The Hyltons maintained their rank and wealth until the Civil War. Despite a reduction in their means, the family remained prosperous enough to refurbish the interior and add wings to the north and south side of the gatehouse in the first half of the 18th century.
The last Hylton died in 1746 and shortly afterwards the estate was sold. A century later it was bought by a local man, William Briggs, who demolished the 18th century wings, added larger windows and rebuilt the interior. The appearance of the 18th century house is, however, known from a number of antiquarian illustrations. Further deterioration in the 20th century led to only the exterior walls being saved.

The gatehouse tower, a substantial rectangular building, originally with four storeys, provided self-contained living accommodation for the Hylton family.
The ground floor included a central gate-passage, which was flanked by vaulted chambers. Those on the north side were used as storerooms, while those on the south side functioned as the guardroom and as a private chamber.
On the next floor was the great hall, rising to roof level, with a kitchen, pantry and buttery at one end and a chamber at the other.
Similar withdrawing chambers existed on the second floor; these were reached from the hall via a stair at the northern end of the projecting central east turret.
The third private chamber on the second floor was over the kitchens and was reached via the main stair at the southern end of the central east turret. A further two private chambers existed in the central east tower, accessed via the main stair.

The building is now part of the English Heritage collection

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/hylton-castle/

#Hylton #HyltonCastle #EnglishHeritage #building #architecture #StuartMurphy #FujiXT2
Photo

Post has attachment

Barnsley in Polyptych - A Photographic Project by Stuart Murphy.

_____________

Originally, a polyptych was a religious piece on an alter which had four or more hinged panels. Each panel displayed a relief or painting. Today photographers typically use the term to describe a photo-story; a themed photographic sequence or a group of pictures with something in common.

For this particular photography project each polyptych will focus on a subject located in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley, ranging from sculptures, statues, architecture and memorials.

_______________

Oaks Colliery Mining Disaster Monument
The Oaks explosion occurred at the Oaks Colliery, in Barnsley, Yorkshire on 12 December 1866 killing 361 miners and rescuers. The disaster happened after a series of explosions caused by firedamp (chiefly methane) igniting ripped through the workings. It remains the worst colliery or mining disaster in England.

The monument was commissioned by Samuel Joshua Cooper (who also donated the Cooper Art Gallery to Barnsley) to commemorate the rescuers, 27 of whom died, at the Oaks Colliery Disaster.

The architects were the local firm, Wade and Turner, responsible for a number of significant buildings in the town at this time.
'The bronze Group "Gloria Victis", as chosen by the late Mr. Cooper' seems to have been selected by him for the monument. The sculptor was the French sculptor M.J.A. Mercié, who exhibited a 2m high plaster version of this composition at the Salon of 1874. Its great success there led to a large number of smaller bronze versions being cast and sold.
The stonework is by Dalby and the original iron railings, with a lamp pillar at the two road corners, were by C. Downing; although these have been replaced at a later date.
The monument was installed by the end of 1913 and not unveiled until 4th February 1914, although unfortunately Samuel Cooper had died the previous year on July 11th, aged 82.
The unveiling was by Mr J Tyas JP, who had been chairman of the the committee which managed the fund for the relief of sufferers from the explosion. T.W. Embleton and the son of J.E. Mammett were present at the opening ceremony, as were several others involved in the rescue attempts.

#photography #polyptych #barnsley #barnsleyinpolyptych #Yorkshire #England #art #publicArt #monument #memorial #oakscollierydisaster #StuartMurphy
Photo

Post has attachment
Barnsley in Polyptych - A Photographic Project by Stuart Murphy.

_______________

Originally, a polyptych was a religious piece on an alter which had four or more hinged panels. Each panel displayed a relief or painting. Today photographers typically use the term to describe a photo-story; a themed photographic sequence or a group of pictures with something in common.

For this particular photography project each polyptych will focus on a subject located in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley, ranging from sculptures, statues, architecture and memorials.

________________________________________________
Erected by members of the National Reserve Club, this memorial was originally sited at the Headquarters of the National Reserve Club, which was on Harborough Hills Road on land which had been donated to the NRC by a Colonel Fox.
The building was eventually taken over by the Yorkshire Traction Employees Club and subsequently replaced by a new building. The memorial was relocated on this site but suffered from vandalism.
Re-sited to the Cooper Memorial Garden in 1991 when it was cleaned and missing letters from the inscription were replaced.

#barnsley #polyptych #sculpture #war #WarMemorial #memorial #StuartMurphy #heritage #history #NationalReserveClub
Photo

Post has attachment
Barnsley in Polyptych - A Photographic Project by Stuart Murphy.
-------------------------
Originally, a polyptych was a religious piece on an alter which had four or more hinged panels. Each panel displayed a relief or painting. Today photographers typically use the term to describe a photo-story; a themed photographic sequence or a group of pictures with something in common.

For this particular photography project each polyptych will focus on a subject located in the metropolitan borough of Barnsley, ranging from sculptures, statues to architecture and memorials.
------------------------

The Cooper Gallery is located on Church Street, part of the original centre of Barnsley old town.

Built in 1769 the building was originally the home to Barnsley Grammar School. The building was also used as a Sunday School, a Church Institute and a Conservative Reading Room. The original structure stayed the same until 1881 when alterations were made to the windows, facades and steps.

The building was purchased by Samuel Joshua Cooper when Barnsley Grammar School relocated to a new site. He left the Gallery to the people of Barnsley along with more than 200 of his paintings. These paintings, which he had collected on his journeys throughout Europe, form the heart of the permanent collection.

The gallery opened to the public in 1914.

In 1934 the Fox wing was added to the back of the gallery, in memory of local businessman and art collector James Fox and his wife Jane.

During the Second World War the Cooper Gallery became an extension of the towns Beckett Hospital. After the war it was turned into an outpatients clinic and rehabilitation ward and eventually handed back to the trustees in 1957. The former South Yorkshire County Council took over the lease in 1977, with the aim of transforming the Cooper Gallery into a regional arts centre, with touring shows and exhibitions on themes such as mining, steel and industry as well as concerts and learning opportunities.

#barnsley #polyptych #CooperArtGallery #building #architecture #StuartMurphy #heritage #history 
Photo
Wait while more posts are being loaded