Earnest advocates of the "shut up and calculate" interpretation of QM are like conservatives who don't get that Stephen Colbert is joking.
13 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 3 previous comments
- Colbert is joking?Jan 18, 2013
- Well, I do get that part. :)Jan 18, 2013
- The joke is that David Mermin, who coined the term "shut up and calculate" did not believe that one should do that himself. Also, the Copenhangen interpretation, which is often mentioned in the same breath as "shut up and calculate", is about as far from "shut up and calculate" as you can get.Jan 18, 2013
- Thanks!Jan 18, 2013
- Dava Sobel's numinous book, "A More Perfect Heaven", touches on the "shut up and calculate" interpretation of the Copernican revolution. Does the Earth really orbit the Sun? Or rather is this just a trick to make the observations come out right?Jan 18, 2013
- I thought it was Conservatives who were fond of "Proof by Assertion"? Your hypothesis will only be worth refuting if you can come up with some data to back it up.Jan 18, 2013
Add a comment...