The Hangouts team has been working on a brand new app for Hangouts on ChromeOS and Windows. We wanted to take a fresh view on improving the communications experience on a desktop form factor.
- A real desktop app that can run persistently in the background so you never miss any messages. One that you can launch from your OS launcher. One that you can pin to the taskbar. One that you can ALT+TAB to access.
- New messages now appear on top of all windows, show a message preview and get out of your way. Check out the gentle animation for unread messages!
- When we place something on top, we need to let users position it wherever they want. So we built a beautifully animated experience for dragging chats around.
- Some chats are more important than others. Hangouts now lets you pop out the important chats as separate windows that you can pin to your desktop.
- Complete customizability - you can control how the app behaves - on top, show message preview, auto-hide windows, and whether the app starts when your computer starts.
- Optimized for keyboard input, including keyboard shortcuts (try out your favorite Chrome shortcuts).
It works decently well on Linux but the fancy animations are not supported. Better Mac support is in the works. We are just getting started here. Give it a try and let us know what you thinkhttps://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hangouts/knipolnnllmklapflnccelgolnpehhpl