New to Google+ and want to get more engagement on your posts? Don’t miss these top tips from around the world!Why are we concerned with engagement on Google+ as opposed to the number of connections you have?
The true value of Google+ doesn’t come from the numbers, it comes when you build relationships with people, which you can do by engaging with their posts, and when they engage with yours.
To help you create engaging posts, we’ve gathered some Google plussers from around the globe to share their best tips.Take Action:The HIGH FIVE of getting your engagement started
By +Monika Schmidt
from Ammersee, Germany
- Plus one
- Share other people’s posts
- Create your own posts
- Add many contacts to your circlesPay Attention to Detail: Take time to complete your Google+ profile
By +Lucie Nolette
from Montreal Canada
People are more likely to engage with you if they know who you are and what your interests are.
- Set up a profile picture
- Cover Photo; If you don’t have time right away to create a custom cover photo, at least select an image from the gallery that Google gives you, but write in your agenda to come back in a few days to add a more personal Cover photo. Tip: Use +Canva to create a Cover photo banner!
- Complete your” About” page. Tell us about yourself, tell us your interests. Make sure you include the links to your other Social Media and other G+ Pages or Communities. Include a section on suggested circles to add me to: i.e. Photography, Google+, Cooking, Fitness, Movies etc..
- Print a few About Pages of people you follow and admire. Read them for inspiration one evening. The next day, complete your About page. To get inspiration, you may want to check this great list by +Strategy Digital
Top Google+ Tipsters: http://goo.gl/YyRdvl
To help you optimize your Google+ profile, here is a great Checklist from +Stephan Hovnanian
; Google+Profile Optimization Checklist: http://goo.gl/uAaEDB
Be Creative: Format your posts and add photos so they stand out from the crowd
By me (+Melinda Samson
) from Melbourne, Australia
Three ways to format your Google+ posts are:
- Add an * to the start and end of a word or sentence to make it bold
- Add _ at the start and end to make it italics
- Add - at the start and end to make a Strikethrough
When you share a link, for example to a recent article from your blog, instead of just pasting the link into the update, try these tips:
- Add a bold attention grabbing headline to the post
- Add some text that describes the information in the article, and entices people to want to click through and read more
- Add an attractive, relevant photo (because posts with photos get more engagement.) Once you’ve added the photo, add the link to the body of the post. The text and photo will encourage others to +1 your update, even if they don’t click through to read the article.Be Focused: Engagement is Passion
By +Nina Trankova
from Sofia, Bulgaria
- Nobody knows better than you the essence, significance and purpose of your business. Businesses are people and it is all about our unique human experience. Take responsibility and be persistent, by plussing, commenting and sharing the most relevant content. This will lead you to engagement with the people you relate to.
- Google+ is the machine to drive you to your personal professional conference, it is all about your success. Set your goals.
- Elevate yourself a bit, read, comment and share content that resonates to your true passion. Stay who you really are. When you are engaged with yourself in the first place, people will follow you.Have A Strategy: Engagement involves your heart and mind in meaningful conversations
By +Louisa Chan
from Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaEngagement involves having meaningful and two-way conversations:
To engage with someone requires that we have an interest in the person or the brand and therefore we will actively get involved with the brand.
That could mean adding your viewpoints in conversations, sharing the content or letting the person know that you have read the points by plus-ing.
While you will want to start off the business relationship gently and slowly, it is ok to express your views with more explicit comments after the initial few +1s because it is often difficult to read what +1 really means (https://plus.google.com/+googleplus/posts/gGYEL9BxLX2
)Engage with the mind and the heart, not just the eyes:
Using cute Caturday gifs or beautiful nature sceneries as door openers for new relationships are great, but these are not sufficient to provide the basis for building authentic and meaningful engagement for mutually beneficial business relationships.
Take the conversation to a deeper level by addressing issues and concerns that your audience has and provide them with your views on industry trends, news and updates, as well as specific tips and resources that address their needs so they have a reason to connect with you (and not the hundreds of others offering the same “commodity”) and continue to do so.Engagement needs to go beyond the superficial and be mutually beneficial:
Posting about issues that address the readers’ interests and provide answers to concerns they have will touch them at a deeper level and generate meaningful response from them.
If you know your market well and what challenges or concerns they have then you can illicit their engagement by discussing these issues and possible ways of overcoming them. Stay relevant or it won’t be very interesting anymore. Which is your favourite tip? Please share a comment and let us know
Thanks to +martin shervington
and all the members of the Plus Your Business Academy for sharing their Google+ knowledge during the #PYBacademy We worked out these tips in collaboration over 24 hours, regardless of continents, time zones and languages. If you wish to be part of a rocket learning community on Google+, join the +Plus Your Business! Communityhttps://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/116964887426108499397 #GooglePlusTips #GooglePlusTeamWork