Shared publicly  - 
A major source of airplane turbulence may come from gravity waves, a new study suggests.
Marc Paul Rubin's profile photoCrews Giles's profile photo
If we say, "Gravity waves form when air traveling up and down in the atmosphere meets resistance;"

Then, are we saying anything different than:

Air becomes denser when rising air meets a denser layer above it, and, as a result, expands in waves away from the source? 
[tap... tap... tap]
 Is this thing on?
Hi +Crews Giles yes, occasionally you'll see a reply here from +LiveScience, mainly of the form "Thanks for your comment." One reason may be the way they cross-publish to social networks; for instance, notice "Adobe® Social" in their tagline, or sometimes "Context Optional." As to your point:
I'm puzzled by use of the term "gravity waves," and checked the Wikipedia article. Personally I found that just as confusing and ambiguous as the article linked here. While the phrase may be poor terminology IMO, it does appear to be in common scientific use.
+Marc Paul Rubin"Thanks for your comment!"

I see that Adobe thing.  Curious. 

Well, the headline served its purpose as at least two of us read the article, but at least two of us seem unconvinced that the waves have anything to do with gravity.
Add a comment...