225 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 70 previous comments
- Hear Hear! I like the way you think.Mar 10, 2012
- It is eminent that we shall reach the state of mind of limitless thinking.Mar 10, 2012
- Kesean Nelson - No sarcasm (though I have to plead guilty to hyperbole when I look at the "ever" in my comment... mea culpa). My point was really that education spending per pupil has gone up 250% in real terms in the USA since 1970. 250%! Given the available talent and obvious need, we should be getting more for less every year. Instead, we are getting less for more (re: your comments about school closing, strikes, etc). And I suspect from your later " I am not anti government I am pro doing better with what we have" comment, that we might agree that much of our education spend is wasted.
Listen, I passionately believe in an educated public. But Public Education has come to mean a corrupt, greedy, self-aggrandizing bureaucracy that every year demands more resources and produces less results. Most of the teachers I meet are good folks. But looking at forty years of increasing budgets and forty years of increasing failure leads me to the conclusion that increasing education spending would be the worst thing we could do.
I think we need to trash-bin the system we have and start with a completely different paradigm. Tough thing to do. Entrenched bureaucracies may suck at their missions, but are generally very good at defending perqs, benefits and waste.Mar 10, 2012
- Adeel Khan - NASA payroll? Cool. Actually, I'm just a small businessman schlepping furniture to support my family. Love the paranoia though. Really.
Besides, my comment wasn't meant as support for NASA funding. Although I admire their achievements in the early years, I am very uncomfortable with government taxing and spending for NASA. There is likely a justifiable roll for government funding of some basic and long-term research -- but I don't think NASA is a part of that. Saying that pains me because I share their dreams and visions. I just don't think I have the right to impose those costs on the rest of the country.Mar 10, 2012
- But we are in space- travelling through space on our planet! Lets concentrate on her instead. Keep our beautiful spaceship alive and healthy.Mar 10, 2012
- Yes but we need to confirm that we are indeed alone here and need to explore. In fact the politicians need to know they are not alone so they can get more votes.Mar 10, 2012