topic at dinner tonight, talk about the things you want to see instructables do now that they're part of autodesk - go!
5 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 23 previous comments
- A tools section. Basically an area where you can download various utilities to convert designs into g-code, for example.Aug 2, 2011
- Displaying articles on the homepage based on tutorials that you've viewed (like Youtube) or who you are following would be very nice.
As a UX professional, I have a few of major qualms:
1) having each step on a separate page is very unfriendly to the users. I would suggest they create a slideshow or something similar with a tool such as jQuery Cycle.
2) Clicking step 1 just scrolls you down the page. I find this functionality asinine. If all of the other steps are on separate pages, make it all consistent.
3) The navigation for specific instructables is very unintuitive. You have to hover over each nav item to see what it's for.
4) The top ad (below the main site navigation and the page header) location is ignorant. I have to look 1/3 the way down the page on my 27" Cinema Display to see the page header. It really destroys valuable above-the-fold real estate. Don't flame me. I know that websites need to monetize with ads. I just think that the placement is terrible.Aug 2, 2011
- can you point to a step-by-step learning site that does a great job with this? that would also be helpfulAug 2, 2011
- Maybe re-enable large pictures in articles rather than charging for a premium subscription.Aug 2, 2011
- Honestly, I'm just hoping they don't try to change too much. For all its quirks, Instructables was one of the most useful sites for people who just want to dive into tech. Sometimes I just need a starting place on how to hack a power saw into a surgery robot, and holy S**t, someone did it with a CNC mill. And they probably used an Arduino.Aug 2, 2011
- Redesign the search system. Their current search system is page-oriented and returns multiple hits from each related Instructable. It also returns searches from random discussion and there is no apparent way to exclude these hits. The ability to search for ONLY Instructable entries (and not questions/discussion) with ONE result for a given Instructable would be a massive time saver.Aug 3, 2011
Add a comment...