36 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 7 previous comments
- Aug 21, 2012
- Hi, I've a question about stable release bases. Recently I noticed that some upstream 3.4 patches are not included in 3.4 stable release (commit dbd5768f for example, it got in upstream between 3.4-rc2 and 3.4-rc3, but doesn't show up in 3.4.y stable tree).
I originally thought stable releases are based on corresponding kernel release but apparently I was wrong. So could you please share some information about how you choose the stable release base?
Thanks very much!
Just to fill my very curious mind ;-)Aug 22, 2012
- dbd5768 | 2012-05-03 | vfs: Rename end_writeback() to clear_inode() [Jan Kara] ? The earliest I see that is in the 3.5-rc releases . From what I am reading that was just a rename of end_writeback() to clear_inode() which wouldn't qualify for a stable release. For guidelines about what goes into stable see Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txtAug 22, 2012
- git describe tells that commit dbd5768f went in somewhere after v3.4-rc2.
$git describe dbd5768f
Checking git log v3.5 by hand, I found commit dbd5768f somewhere before 3.4-rc6 is tagged. However, when I checked git log v3.4-rc6, I could not find the commit.
OK. I admit I am screwed up by git...Aug 22, 2012
- I had only looked at git tag --contains dbd5768 . Pulling up the repo in tig though I can see that Linus released v3.4 on 2012-05-20 and he merged dbd5768 on 2012-05-28 during the v3.5 merge window.Aug 23, 2012
- Yeah, I should trust git tag more than git describe... thanksAug 24, 2012