Furkids was founded in 2002 by Samantha Shelton after she found a stray mother cat with kittens and was unable to find a shelter that would take them in. She was spurred to action because of the challenging pet overpopulation problem that exists in Georgia. Today, Furkids is proud of the following facts:
- We operate Georgia’s largest no-kill cage-free shelter, housing 275 cats per day.
- An additional 120 cats and dogs are cared for in our extensive foster care network.
- We operate a house exclusively for FIV+ cats.
- Day-to-day operations across the organization are carried out largely by over 300 volunteers.
- Since our inception, we have rescued over 6000 animals.
- We spay/neuter every animal that we rescue.
- We offer volunteer opportunities for children and teenagers.
- Proceeds from our successful thrift shop help with the cost of caring for our animals.
- We partner with 7 area PetSmart and PETCO stores to adopt out our cats, housing an average of 140 cats at these locations.
- We have earned 6 consecutive Best in America Seal of Excellenceawards by Independent Charities of America.