The EFF Deep Link Blog post on this for further reading: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/12/sorry-iphone-users-apples-dev-agreement-means-no-eff-mobile-app-iphone
Dr. Jarrett Byrnes, University of Massachusetts Boston
Dr. Zen Faulkes, University of Texas Pan-American
Dr. Amelia Green, Drexel University
Dr. Ethan Perlstein, PerlsteinLab
David Shiffman, University of Miami
Dr. Barbara Walker, University of California Santa Barbara
Cindy Wu, Experiment.com
Dr. Jai Ranganathan (moderator), SciFund Challenge
So we've decided to help transfer the data in Freebase to Wikidata, and in mid-2015 we’ll wind down the Freebase service as a standalone project. Freebase has also supported developer access to the data, so before we retire it, we’ll launch a new API for entity search powered by Google's Knowledge Graph.
Loading Freebase into Wikidata as-is wouldn't meet the Wikidata community's guidelines for citation and sourcing of facts -- while a significant portion of the facts in Freebase came from Wikipedia itself, those facts were attributed to Wikipedia and not the actual original non-Wikipedia sources. So we’ll be launching a tool for Wikidata community members to match Freebase assertions to potential citations from either Google Search or our Knowledge Vault, so these individual facts can then be properly loaded to Wikidata.
We believe this is the best first step we can take toward becoming a constructive participant in the Wikidata community, but we’ll look to continually evolve our role to support the goal of a comprehensive open database of common knowledge that anyone can use.
Here are the important dates to know:
Before the end of March 2015
- We’ll launch a Wikidata import review tool
- We’ll announce a transition plan for the Freebase Search API & Suggest Widget to a Knowledge Graph-based solution
March 31, 2015
- Freebase as a service will become read-only
- The website will no longer accept edits
- We’ll retire the MQL write API
June 30, 2015
- We’ll retire the Freebase website and APIs
- The last Freebase data dump will remain available, but developers should check out the Wikidata dump
The Knowledge Graph team at Google
You can enhance that data with your health history over your lifetime creating ever more valuable datasets. This is a huge undertaking with potential for massive returns in improving the understanding of humans, creating therapeutic treatments, and curing diseases. This is an international effort lead by an outstanding team with thorough Institutional Review at Harvard.
There is a basic comprehension of the risks and rights before you can join. If you pass the comprehension of participating in this experiment and will/can be near San Diego or St Louis this month sign up, take the surveys, and mark your interest for one of these locations to donate.
Will you step up and donate for our future?
#dnasequencing #publicdomain #iflscience
- University of MarylandInformation Studies - PhD, 2015 - present
- University of Michigan School of InformationMasters of Science in Information - Social Computing, 2010 - 2012I attended graduate school at the University of Michigan for a Master of Science in Information and specialized in Social Computing and dabbled in Human Computer Interaction. My courses covered usability testing and research, recommender and reputation systems, ecommunities, game theory, and social conscious business design (Ross Business School cognate course).
- Michigan State University College of Communication Arts and SciencesBachelors of Science in Media and Communication Technology with a specialization in Information Technology, 2005 - 2010I graduated in May 2010 with a B.S. in Media and Communication Technology with an Information Technology Specialization at Michigan State University. The focus of my degree was Social Computing, Information Technology Projects, and Telecommunication Systems. The business courses included accounting and supply chain management. The telecom courses included project design, management, proposal and project development, and study of the various levels of Internet infrastructure and operations. All of these on top of the core courses for undergraduates and some engineering courses where I started my college career.
- SciStarterStrategic Advisor, 2013 - presentAdvise on business and social design. Co-develop the information architecture, assess usability usability, improve semantic design and SEO. Co-administer the IT infrastructure and site development. Additional consulting and responsibilities as they arise.
- University of MichiganPost Masters Researcher, 2012 - presentWorking in the School of Information under supervision of Tom Finholt. Exploring the usability and user experience of the XSEDE supercomputing metrics tool XDMoD.
- Charity EngineSupport/ Community Manager / Consultant, 2012 - present
- GridRepublicCommunity Manager / Outreach Coordinator / Support, 2008 - present
- Biggs|GilmoreUser Experience Designer Intern, 2011 - 2011Gathered and analyzed client content for the development of information architecture and wireframes. Worked with design and development teams on wireframe and functional design possibility. Delivered wireframes and information architecture design to client. Also conducted usability testing for web based games with children.
- Oakland County GovernmentIT Engineer, 2010 - 2011
- The City of PortageTechnical Leader, 2008 - 2008
- The City of PortageTechnical Assistant, 2007 - 2007
- The Image Place, Inc.Lab Assistant, 2004 - 2004Conducted small and large print mounting and coating. Developed 35 mm and 110 mm films. Performed other misc tasks around the lab.
- The Adler PlanetariumSocial Media Intern, 2011 - 2011Week long internship assisting in website usability analysis, social media strategy development, patron interview and surveys, and designing complex survey logic for future evaluations.
- University of MichiganSI 631/634 Grader, 2012 - 2012Graded and answered questions in the Content Management Systems courses with a primary focus on Drupal. SI 631 is a client project course aimed at designing a site according to client requests. SI 634 is a intro course to Drupal configuration.
- Freebase (current)
- Honest Builidings (current)
- Jonathan Brier's Personal Website (current)
- gridrepublic.org (current)
- Charity Engine (current)
- MusicBrainz (current)
- Freebase (current)
- Honest Builidings (current)
- SPARKstart Blog (current)
- GridCast Blog (current)
- PLOS Blog citizensci (current)
- SciStarter Blog (current)
- Buzz (past)
- OpenStreetMap (current)
Library Hours Ranked in 10 Biggest Cities – Next City
Another reason New Yorkers have to worry about “closing time.”
'Con Man' from Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion finds a home in Vimeo
There was a brief moment for potential awkwardness at last week's Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim. On the third night of the fan convention
What is 802.11ac WiFi, and how much faster than 802.11n is it? | Extreme...
802.11ac is a supercharged version of 802.11n -- but what does that mean? Here are the details on what 802.11ac is, and how it will eventual
A fully transparent solar cell that could make every window and screen a...
Ubiquitous Energy and Michigan State University researchers have created a fully transparent solar concentrator, which could turn any window
The Detroit Zoo’s Newest Attraction Could Revolutionize The Way Zoos Get...
Add anaerobic digestion to the list of spectacles at the Detroit Zoo, the first zoo in the country to employ such renewable energy technolog
NRDC’s Linda Greer is Cleaning Up China’s Toxic Fashion Industry
Linda Greer ranks among the fashion industry's leading "toxic avengers." As director of the Natural Resources Defense Council's five-year-ol
Opening data for stronger cities: The 'What Works Cities' initiative
The New York City skyline. (Photo credit: actor212/Flickr) We let you know a few weeks ago that we were beginning a new effort to improve op
Could this one-armed robot lead the next industrial revolution?
Sawyer the one-armed robot: Could this manufacturing machine lead the next industrial revolution?
Groupmuse Hopes to Usher in Chamber Music for the Millennial Generation ...
Carsten Rodin, left, Ethan Price-Chu, center, and Ben Miller talk about classical music during a Groupmuse concert held in an apartment at 1
Federal judge: Government must do more to protect marine mammals from na...
A federal judge stands up to the noisy navy for the sake of marine mammals.
Rapid global warming may be coming sooner than you think
The climate may be entering a new phase of more rapid global warming due largely to the withdrawal of heat from Pacific Ocean waters, a new
Signs of Alien Life Will Be Found by 2025, NASA's Chief Scientist Predicts
Solid signs of alien life will be spotted within 10 years, and definitive evidence will roll in within 20 to 30 years, NASA chief scientist