Everyone is posting about how horrified they are about Disney acquiring Lucasfilm and planning to make a new Star Wars movie. It could go really badly: They could start tacking on pointless additional "Star Wars"-esque movies for no motivation other than profit, fill them with cutesy characters designed to appeal to a demographic as imagined by marketing departments, load them down with glittery special effects and wretched dialogue....
94 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 40 previous comments
- Indeed Sir, indeed!Oct 30, 2012
- Lisa Ellis+10Here's something to think about: Princess Leia is now a Disney Princess.Oct 30, 2012
- : I know! It is bogglifying. (And I just independently posted that exact thought on the post above this one.)Oct 31, 2012
- What I find disturbing in a way is how major studios seem to have run out of creative steam for years now. In the last year or so it was either 25% or 50% of major films were remakes (can't remember which %).
While there are plenty of amusing special effects constantly coming out, original content seems to be lacking, and you really can't just go shopping for that.
At the risk of being cynical, I'm sure there are a few industry experts that realize if you have enough control of a market then the content doesn't need to the priority.
Thankfully there are many fine indie films around but not so easy to find. I think this interview (part of it) with Robert Redford says a ton:
Robert Redford interview - Part 1/3Oct 31, 2012
- , so what else is new? Your not saying anything that's been said a million times over the past couple decades. And it's very obvious why and you should know the answer. It's all about the money! M-O-N-E-Y! It's called the entertainment business! B-U-S-I-N-E-S-S!
Originality = risk
Publicly owned big business = risk aversionOct 31, 2012
- Obviously you didn't watch the interview I attached. Pretty much everything in our western civilization is a business of one form or another. Originality has its own rewards, and opportunities.
That's been said countless time too, but I don't mind saying it here.Oct 31, 2012
Add a comment...