27 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 26 previous comments
- What I can answer now? Clutter is exactly this. The library that talks to openGL. Anyway, point is that Shell (not Mutter) development is pretty much done.46w
- Now I agree :p Gnome Shell dev is slowed down but because time is spend on other projects... Gnome Shell API is now quite stable... What do you want, all extensions break down every 6 months?46w
- Shell Extensions breakage isn't related directly to clutter. For example if we change the dock menu (UI) function on Shell, Dash To Dock extension will break.
I dont do Clutter development and I dont know whats missing, but for example the bad performance of Shell could be a Clutter issue. Or drivers problems can be clutter issue. Or events.
From what I know, (which was the main
and only reallydeveloper of Clutter) at some point dropped Clutter as project (he said he wont do a 2.0 release) and he started to work on GSK, which is something like Clutter embedded on GTK.
So what I mean about elementary, is when GSK is ready, Pantheon can have a fancy (free graphics made) calendar made on GSK. GNOME Shell (the UI) on the other hand, should completely get re-written on GSK.
In this regard I give a benefit to Pantheon to do some cool things in the near future, when GNOME Shell needs more time (development)46w
- That's because you are doing it wrong. Install Ubuntu gnome first, then install pantheon shell with apt get. Then it will work.
You can not add PPA for either of them.
Same thing can happen in Fedora if try to install mate-desktop from Fedora 23 into Fedora 24.46w
- I see about your PPA point. But you cant say not install a PPA. Everyone installs PPAs for the software they use. Ubuntu channels are always outdated.46w
- Packages in PPA compile against a particular Gnome stack. If two ppas are based on two different stack, then installing packages from both PPA can break your system.
However I agree that Ubuntu ships older stack of Gnome which is not good. Ubuntu experience was much better when they used to ship latest Gnome.46w