Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Wing Wong
Tech-loving, slightly off kilter, random-factoid-regurgitating, kind of guy.
Tech-loving, slightly off kilter, random-factoid-regurgitating, kind of guy.

Wing's posts

My pogo programming jig for esp8266 modules. Uses a d1mini wemos or wemos clone board and a set of pogo pins.

Designed in Autodesk Eagle CAD, manufactured by Oshpark, and soldered at home with a hot air rework station and soldering iron.

To solder the wemos d1 mini board to the jig board, i add solder bumps to the pads on the d1 board or onto the jig board. Then i place the d1 board on top of the jig board abd heat from below with the hot air. When the solder melts, the d1 board flattens against the pcb and it's all good. Lets you program bare esp modules without having to resort to using flash/reset buttons.

The esp module is removed from the d1 mini board using hot air.

Attiny10.... so tiny! AVR in SOT-23 package... so cute!!

Post has attachment
So I finally got around to opening my +Tiko3D printer that was delivered from the Kickstarter campaign. And to my disappointment, it arrived broken(clear portion of the body is separated from the white portion of the body via irregular cracks along the seam with strong smells of glue).


I know Tiko3D has encountered and has addressed many of their manufacturing issues, but it seems that there are still isssues to be addressed.

What makes this experience a bit more annoying is that their forum and support site keeps logging me out. I've sent them an email to, but at this point, this printer is DOA.

Included some pics for folks who are more visual.

My guess: combined with the VERY thin plastic tabs employed in the mechanical connection between the clear and opaque portions and the VERY uneven application of a glue has resulted in some serious stresses that when experiencing shipment stresses, has fatiqued and ultimately failed.

The print bed came with a little hollow geometric item printed on it with LOTS of serious blobbing issues, so I've not bothered to try a test print since with the lack of a stable connection of the frame with the base, there is no way to ensure the printer will remain oriented properly or stay in register. _;; Now that I have the printer in my hand and can feel it, there are quite a few mechanical issues that will need to be addressed to ensure a high print quality.

Will be looking forward to hearing back from the Tiko3D team, as given the history, I'm not really very impressed at this point. _;

#3dprinter #deltaprinter #kickstarter #tiko3d

4 Photos - View album

Projects. Todo lists. Cleaning... some days, i wish i could just create a bubble of isolated time and get stuff done, then pop back into mainstream time. (Time differential potential/etc stored to be used to retard time on things.. like for when one loses power to the fridge or something...)

Gung Hay Fat Choy! Happy Year of the Rooster!

May the year of the rooster allow everyone to find the hidden good things in their lives. 

Post has attachment
Beef. It's what's for dinner.

Post has attachment
Trying out +KiCad and keep getting this error when trying to load the netlist into the PCB editor....

So here's the head scratcher, why is it needing to reach out to the net to pull this file and why is the entire netlist load operation failing because of one failed file load? I have no caps in my design. _;;;

Solution found:

Use [preferences]>[Library Manager]>[Remove Library]

Post has attachment
Header pins added and most of the flux cleaned off. The qfp-144 xilinx seems dwarfed by the 208 breakout board. Mental note: make a new breakout board with the jtag header in place.
4 Photos - View album

Post has attachment
My first qfp-208. Recovered this Xilinx Spartan XC2S100 from and old board and soldered it onto this breakout board. 

Post has attachment
As part of my self-teaching myself fpga/cpld design/programming, i bought some old boards from WeirdStuff which had a variety of pal/gal/cpld/fpga/eeprom/sram/etc components.

I bought some low temp smd removal alloy strips and went to town removing chips from the boards.

The biggest haul are the Altera Flex cpld/fpga(s). 10k series with one 10k100! Woot!

I cleaned up the Xilinx XC95288xl (144 tqfp!!)and soldered it onto a breakout board. Same with the Altera Max 7000 series chip(tqfp100). Ended up with 2 pins stuck on the Altera max, but it is just an io pin stuck to ground, so i can live with it.

Ordered some qfp-240+ boards for the Altera Flex 10K chips. Have high hopes for those chips.... :)

Total cost for boards: $29. Cost for chip removal solder: $24.

Great educational exercise and now i got my hands on some nice fpga/cpld/pal/gals!

#smd #fpga #cpld #soldering #pcb #electronics #handsoldering
8 Photos - View album
Wait while more posts are being loaded