I agree with Mr. McConnell that a good solution to our problems is to simply get better at estimating. At least in my own limited experience, however, the core problem is less about estimation per se, and more about how projects are managed. I fear that some managers will hear "don't give up on estimates, just get better at estimating", and translate it as "put more pressure on programmers to get better at estimates by punishing them more when they fail". Improvements to the estimation process should include better knowledge by managers of when to ask for a higher-precision estimate (small variations to well-known tasks), and when to settle for lower-precision estimates (exploration) and prepare in advance for the consequences.
Mind you, I'm not in favor of zero management. Don't give up on management, just get better at it. :-)
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE (USA)B.A. in "Multimedia Computing" (Computer Science + Arts)
- Omaha Central High School, Omaha, NE (USA)State-champion chess team (4 years in a row!)
- Lewis and Clark Junior High School, Omaha, NE (USA)School destroyed by a tornado in our final year
- Park Hill Elementary School, Denver, CO (USA)City-champion soccer team
- Palmer Elementary School, Denver, CO (USA)Those "gigantic" raised sandboxes seemed a lot smaller when I went back to visit
- Expedia EAN / MatchpointSenior Software Engineer in Test, 2015 - presentLarge-scale cloud systems in Java
- Nationwide Insurance / TEKsystemsSoftware Engineer in Test, 2014 - 2015Ruby-based testing for web/mobile/mainframe
- Design Data CorporationProgrammer/Analyst, 1994 - 2013CAD program in C/C++/TCL/Bash on Linux
When scientists help to sell pseudoscience: The many worlds of woo
...or, as Peter Coles suggested, The Empirical Strikes Back Until a couple of weeks ago, I was blissfully unaware that there was a secret ou
This Visual Joke Hidden Throughout "Shaun Of The Dead" Will Sneak Up On ...
A redditor recently uncovered all of the background characters who reappear in "Shaun Of The Dead" and you're gonna want to re-watch it now.
The Origin of the 8-Hour Work Day and Why We Should Rethink It
Is the 8-hour workday really ideal – or necessary? A look into the research on work time and how to optimize it for greater happiness and su
Super Quick Video Tips: Are Your Coffee Beans Fresh?
Don't fall victim to a cup of stale coffee. Watch more Super Quick Video Tips at http://AmericasTestKitchenFeed.com America's Test Kitchen i
Project of the Month: Automating iOS Application GUI Testing With FoneMo...
Recording and capturing keystrokes for testing and validation of the iPhone and iPad UI is finally available as an open-source tool