Ingress Player dies after being hit in Tijuca.
RIO - Having been distracted while playing the game Ingress, Google, the young Gabriel Cavalcante Carneiro Leao, 16, was hit by a bus on Jan. 13 at Rua Dr. Satamini at the time the number 57 in Tijuca. After four days in a coma at the Hospital Souza Aguiar, Gabriel died.
- My son told me by phone a few minutes before the accident, saying he needed to shut down quickly because I was in a hurry to win a portal "gray" close to home - has dismayed the boy's mother, Amanda Tinoco, 36. - Gabriel was so excited, so involved with the possibility of winning this portal you did not listen to my warnings and ended up being hit and died.
It is probably the first case of death attributed directly to Ingress < http://ingress.com
> - a mobile type game ARG (augmented reality game, its acronym in English), played on smartphones or Android tablets and played between two factions : Enlightened (green) and Resistance (blue). The game is an application downloaded free from the online store Google Play.
The competition never ends and is through domain portals that are real monuments or buildings that serve as landmarks of the game. Capturing a portal, the player can create a link to another site of the same faction. Three links forming a triangle determine a "field control" (CF or control field, in the jargon of the game). The number of inhabitants covered by a CF determines the number of souls, or "mental units" dominated. The global score of the game is to count these "Mental Units" (MU) under control of each faction.
Gabriel used the alias @ gabrielccleao the game and had started playing just a day before, when hired by R $ 9.90 the data service for your phone, after having downloaded the app by referral from a friend. On January 12, won his first portal, made its first link and established its first "control field".
On roadkill, was discovered near his residence virgin portal, told neutral gray color - not yet conquered even by the Enlightened or by supporters of the Resistance. The portal is called "Fountain of Angels" (see link < http://goo.gl/sYTAOm
> also play Ingress), located near number 48 from Avenue Melo Matos < http://goo.gl/maps
/ WH5nx >, near the place where it took trampling.
- I'm doing a collection of research on this damn game in order to warn people about the danger of it and remove it from circulation - says the mother of the deceased gamer. - We need to prevent new victims, both of trampling, as assaults arise. Young people are downloading this game and walk casually through the streets with smartphone in hand, with GPS on, and looking for new territories to conquer, including "missions" diverse and appealing to them as well.
Gabriel was rescued by firefighters with cell phone in hand still on the screen showing the Ingress whose differential with respect to other computer games is the fact of making the person walk and move around town, fighting inactivity.
- This game actually managed to take my son home, taking it to the street as he lived holed up playing their games indoors. But, with the accident, he ended up bumping into a GAME OVER irreversible. And I lost my only son, my Gabriel, love of my life. - Amanda regrets.
The Ingress is a highly addictive game, especially if the player has the typical profile of a computer nerd and systems. The activity and planning the game gradually begin to consume all the free time user, then moving on to invade the time devoted to work, leisure and socializing with family and friends not players.
Despite being a free download, play Ingress demand the highest levels of spending and spending much time with travel expenses, food and lodging, not to mention the disposal of the other aspects of life not related to the game.
In online communication among gamers of the same faction channels - WhatsApp, Google+ Hangouts and communities and even voice programs like Zello - talks about the game are almost uninterrupted, is planning actions, is recruiting and instructing new agents.
During the field actions, concentration and enthusiasm are so exacerbated that the player often disregards the real world and its dangers. There are several cases of Ingress fans were injured in holes in the sidewalk or who were assaulted and had their cell phones stolen while they were playing in deserted places or not recommended schedules. The team spirit is so strong that almost always members of a faction, upon hearing of a case of theft of equipment during an action in Ingress, promote "kitties" in order to quickly buy another device to the victim, allowing the back logo for the game.
Game predominantly masculine, Ingress has made wives, fiancees and girlfriends and even children suffer due to the removal of excessive commitment to the game by the fans.
In some cases, only pure luck disguised gambling is what frees the player of the game meshes.
- Just because I left the Ingress took a earful of fate - says a player who prefers to remain anonymous and who was the first to reach the maximum rating of the game, level 8 in Rio - When was the height of my fever by Ingress, suffered a car accident by being with delayed sleep due to excess in the game. It happened just after a large control field that has a lot of work to our team of Enlightened. Had total loss on my car, but I raise my hands to heaven did not die or hurt me, less than a little singed on the wrist due to the ignition of the airbag. Luckily, insurance paid for everything. But the lesson was strong and learned from her. And automatically stifled my momentum in the game, redirecting my focus to the work, and especially for my family.
As the player, many others give similar testimony on channels like Google+, Facebook and Reddit.
- I believe deep in my soul what happened with Gabriel at the moment that preceded trampling. The adrenaline takes over and we focus on the battle, forgetting the rest. I knew the Ingress would still kill someone. Just did not think it would be someone so young and close to our reality - says the unknown gamer.
- Play Ingress can be very dangerous and even harmful. To those who are still playing or even start to play, to take great care with their personal and professional lives, focusing both on a mere game, while highly innovative, fascinating and motivating, not just a game. For those who drive, watch the wheel. And who plays walk, watch thief, open manhole and look both ways before crossing the street - recommends the player away.
(The above post weas auto translated from portugese to English by Google translate.. So Kindly Ignore the errors)
Request People Pay more attention to personal safety than winning..+Ingress
may look into something, if possible, to curb such things in future... +Niantic Project +Brandon Badger +Joe Philley +NIA Ops
RIP fellow agent..