I've since moved to HostGator. It is much nicer over here
In the past few years, Google has made a lot of changes to their algorithms, which has affected what types of content appear when customers search, ultimately influencing search engine rankings and changing the way businesses view SEO in a major way.
Now, companies know that basic SEO, like keyword stuffing, is simply not enough to maintain a high ranking in Google's search results. Instead, companies receive higher rankings for posting unique, relevant, shareable content. No easy task, but certainly one worth pursuing! The rise of social media has helped bolster many companies' attempts to do just this, however, new changes to Google+, the search giant's own in house social network, is creating another major shift in the way we view reviews and customer engagement.
The Google+ Shift
Before Google+ hit the web in 2011, Google was still beginning a series of changes to their algorithms, but the way search rankings worked was still pretty predictable. You did well in search rankings if you quality keywords, plenty of backlinks, and interesting, unique relevant content written by an actual person as opposed to some spambot spewing strange strings of keyword heavy jargon.
Now however, the web is starting to shift away from valuing the basic work of link building and careful keyword writing. Instead, thanks to Google+, sites and business are valued for the attention they get from the Internet community, as well as the perceived authority of their content.
Attention and Authority
In a way, the Google+ shift seems a little unfair, almost like how all the popular kids in high school got all the attention simply because, well, they always got all the attention! But figuring out how to be top dog on the Google+ social ladder isn't as impossible as getting voted Prom Queen. Google+ values sites that post quality content that people actually interact with and share, and you can get that process rolling by using Google features like Public Circles and Google Communities to share your links and encourage your fans and followers to pass them around. The more links you have from independent sources, the more your site will rise in the search rankings.
In addition, you can reach out to your customer base and solicit reviews from real people, which will help build your authority as an authentic provider of products or services. Encourage your reviewers to link their posted content to their Google+ profiles, which will establish authorship and prove that your company's reviews are legit, another major goal of the new Google+.
As Google+ grows more prominent, it's becoming a force that simply can't be ignored. Search, like everything else on the web, is becoming more social. So join the party and get your business the attention it deserves!
- Bootstrap Business SolutionsOwner, 2013 - present
- oDeskWeb Design & Business Consultant, 2010 - present
- Athletic GreensDirector of Technology, 2012 - 2012
- BizzyWebVice President of Operations, 2010 - 2012
- IBMAssured the successful execution of the company's web based presence and business mission through development and deployment of the company's web presence and other technical means. Daily responsibilities include project management, technical and business analysis, forecasting, website development, and leading remote (domestic & international) teams. Successful projects include: Test & Target (Omniture) - Adding Facebook Like Box by final payment button for a 22.21% conversion increase, 7.89% lift in Average Order Value, 28.64$ lift in Sales; Test & Target (Omniture) - Adding badge next to desired product resulted in a 6.71% rise in Average Order Value and a 17.55% boost in sales from new customers; German translated website with German SEO; migration to RackSpace Open Cloud hosting to improve performance, stability, and increase scalability; Improve primary sites initial page load times by 77%; Implement Project Management software (Basecamp)and methodology; Implement Google Tag Manager; LimeLightCRM & HasOffers integration into PHP based websites; Resolve numerous long term technical issues, 2007 - 2010
- WondraWebOwner, 2008 - 2010
- Affiliated Computer ServicesSite Coordinator, 2005 - 2007
- St. Paul CollegeComputer Programming, 1998 - 2000
- St. Lawrence Seminary1988 - 1992
What to Expect in WordPress 4.0: A Hugely Underwhelming “Milestone” Release
Is it just me, or does Wordpress 4.0 seem more like version 3.10? Did someone get the numbering wrong? Did we accidentally skip to 4.0? That
Sweet Pay Day For Automattic Employees: Tiger Global Invests $50 million
Some of Automattic's early employees and shareholders are set to rake in the moolah. Hedge fund and private equity investor Tiger Global has
Infographic: Why a Mobile Responsive Website Is Important? - Bootstrap B...
Infographic: Why a Mobile Responsive Website Is Important? Every website developed today should be a mobile responsive website where the sit
Plus-One This: Proof That Google Plus Will Prevail
Remember when Google Plus “flopped"? Well, it didn’t. In fact, it was, and still is, just part of Google’s plan-- but everyone (including th
The Best Things in Life - Bootstrap Business Solutions
Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in work, especially when running your own business. There are always things to do, projects to finish,
Top WordPress Tools — The best WordPress sites use the best tools
The best WordPress sites use the best tools
Ten of the Most Common WordPress Problems and Their Solutions
Looking for solutions to WP problems? Worried by database connection nightmares? Read on to find out how to cure some common WordPress ailme
The Death of the Yellow Pages - Why SEO offers better ROI
The Yellow Pages used to be a primary advertising tool for local businesses. That is no longer the case. In this video, I look at why SEO of
The Two WordPress Plugins I Refuse Go Without - Bootstrap Business Solut...
Shortly after being introduced to Twitter, I noticed that the “movers & shakers” in the web development and WordPress communities often twee
Sage Exterminators - San Diego Exterminator, Termite Inspections
San Diego Termite Exterminator, Treatments, Repairs, and Inspections in the San Diego area, including La Jolla, Del Mar, Carlsbad, North cou
WordPress Web Development - Bootstrap Business Solutions
We believe your WordPress website should be the central hub of your online presence . Our websites are developed with WordPress to be beauti
Milwaukee Brewers to immortalize Bob Uecker with statue
Bob Uecker, star of television and film and all-around funnyman, will be immortalized in bronze on Aug. 31 at Miller Park.
The 6 Best Growth Hacks to Get Customers Without Having to Pay for Them
But what if we could hack our growth? Instead of paying $20 to acquire a new customer, we could focus on projects that continue to bring us